Insurance up from £450 to £2,080 because i claimed

Bundus

If you had legal cover could they recover this additional loss to your pocket off the other bloke?

After all, his fault your premiums went up :rant:

Sadly that doesn't mean anything. We're still ongoing with a claim when a truck hit the Elise up the back as the other side haven't admitted fault. That was nearly 2 years ago now and still the Mrs has her no claims reduced and the claim pending on her file..... :thumbdown:

Going to court soon though! :boxing::teeth:

As the others have said, if the claim is still pending then they will take the view that it could be your fault and adjust premiums based on that, otherwise they are taking a risk assuming you're being honest to find that then theres a massive claim against you.

I was very lucky when I was reveresed into. The owner came round my friends house (where I was) straight away and appologiesd. They called the insurance straight away the next morning then left me a message with the claim number. Looking back I was very lucky!

Regardless of how fair or unfair this is, it is now standard practice, it was recently covered in auto express, if you claim then your premium will increase even if it was not your fault

they say if you are involved in an accident then the figures show you are more likely to be involved in another !!

its a rip off but they make the rules, i had the same thing recently when an audi tt drove into the back of me !! luckily i wasnt in the zed :teeth:

Damn statisticians ruining the country yet again. There are 3 types of statistics; lies, more lies and damn lies :)

But more seriously, you need to find a company with a more reasonable attitude to no fault incidents. Over a number of years driving a couple of 300ZX TTs I had:

- Removal van hit side of car while parked in a legitimate parking bay in the office car park. Fortunately a witness came and fetched me.

- Pillock in a Sierra drove into the back of me when I stopped at a red ligh guarded by a camera. "I thought you were going to just nip through", he said. I must have looked happy because he locked himself in the car and threatened to call the police if I hit him :).

- 17 year old trying to impress his mates in mum and dads car tried to take a sharp corener that was several inches deep in water at over 50 mph. Not surprisingly he lost control and slammed into the side of me coming the other way. While we sorted out the details his parents came along and had the audacity to suggest it might have been my fault :wacko: at which point I offered to call the police to sort it out unless they admitted liability. Sorted that one out pretty quickly :)

- Pillock in a Cavlier drove into the back of me at a roundabout when he was admiring the classic Aston Martin going around it insteady of looking where he was going.

The key issue was that clearly none of these where my fault. The broker Lifesure arranged insurance for me with NIG who had no problem at all with no fault, full recovery claims. For the couple of incidents while I was insured with them, they contacted me to say that because the incidents were clearly not my fault that the excess would be waived and that they would recover the full amount from the third party :). The UK should adopt the same policy as Canada (Alberta) in which it is illegal for an insurer to penalise you for no fault incidents.

Another good point about NIG is that I left the UK for 4 years, effectively losing my no claims discount. They were the second cheapest quote I managed to get (Sky were about 10% cheaper), but what swung it for me was that they were willing to continue the lifetime protected no claims bonus that I had prior to leaving the UK :thumbs: