Monitor adapter question

Reekie

Hi Guys,

Hopefully someone can help me here, I've just installed a lilliput monitor in my cubby hole, when hard wiring it in to my cig lighter I accidently got the wires mixed up (stupid I know) and I burnt out the small adapter/transformer in the power cable, luckily the monitor is fine.

My question is, what exactly is the small transformer in the power cable for? It says on it "12v in, 12v out", is it to stop spikes/surges when the ignition is turned on? Or does it make sure there is constant power when the igntion is turned on? I've really got no idea.

Next question, is it important? And if so, where can I get a new one? Any ideas? Is it a new power cable I need or can I just buy a new transformer?

Unfortunately this is the only pic I have at the moment, I'll upload some better ones tonight...

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated!!

Not seen that before!

I run mine off a CarPC PSU (Carnetix). I suggest if you are doing the CarPC thing too that you do the same. It saves the components from being overdriven when the engine is started. You can also get a connector for the Carnetix to power a lilliput :thumbs:

Thanks Chris,

Could you be a little clearer though please? Any pics of what I need?

Basically I just cut the cig lighter connector off of the power cable and hardwired it to the back of the cig lighter, I guess that is a no-no?

Yeah I have gone for the PC route, I've got a PC in the glove box behind the passenger seat, wired through to the lilliput monitor, I'm just trying to sort power to the monitor.

Cheers

No worries bud. The Carnetix PSU is a DC-DC converter that allows you to power the CarPC and accessories (monitor, USB hub etc) in safety, knowing you wont fry anything when the engine is cranked (it can produce quite high voltages then and fry stuff). They can be quite expensive, but very worth while. Check out their site - http://carnetix.com/ - and to get them in the UK LinIXT sell them. Oh it also allows startup and shutdown functions which are very handy. I have a 2140 PSU :)