Is alloy wheel out of balance specification safe?

Muscat350

Hi,

Sorry for my lack of techincal knowledge in what I'm about to say.

Just got my car back from Nissan (Muscat, Oman) after a 80k service and repair of a puncture.

When the tyre went i had to crawl at about 20mph for a mile to get to safety. I was in a straight line and when I got to the safe spot there was no degradation of the alloy or tyre. When I got to Nissan he glanced at the puncture and said "hmm probably a new wheel necessary"..

10 days later

They told me that both of the front tryes had 'failed' the balancing and new alloys were needed (kerching $$). When I looked a bit further I was told that the wheels had passed the 'rotation test' but failed the 'alignment test' and made a hand gesture to indicate left/right lateral movement in the wheel. The figures he gave were:

limit 1.5mm left front 1.83mm right front 4.20mm I hope this means something to someone. There was never a suggestion he was talking about suspension, it was all about the alloy.

I drove the car away, there was no vibration up to 70mpg, the ride is immaculate (2 new potenza 001 at the front), there is no pull under braking (low to moderate), straight line steering seems fine. I'll do a double check on the wheel nuts later.

I would be grateful for a bit of second opinion about this from the UK before I wang out 500 on alloys. Nissan here isn't like Nissan in the UK, sometimes you have to do their job for them or else you car will gather dust for weeks.

Thanks in advance

Ian