Alpine HU install - Basic Q's - HELP!

R800NER

So I had a stab at it... :headhurt:

I bought the following bits from Sextons as per the guides:

1.) http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine- ... l26fehjaj4

2.) 350z ICT Bose cable

3.) Alpine Head unit lead (29-001) Steering wheel cable

Taken dash off fine and screwed in the new HU.

Struggling to figure out which cable goes to what, especially as I want to retain the steering wheel controls. I successfully got power to the HU and it dimmed when I turned the lights on and off (so that's something correct), but have these cables spare which concerns me.....the cables didn't seem to match up to anything...where am I going wrong?

photo508mediumedit.jpg

photo509mediumedit.jpg

photo510mediumedit.jpg

photo511mediumedit.jpg

My alpine supplied facia surround doesn't fit either :doh:

photo507medium.jpg

I am really shocking with this kind of stuff, so any help is appreciated, even pointing out the obvious! (like the antenna cable :lol: )

number 1: back on alpine HU there should be a steering wheel control input.

number 2: dont touch the brown plug. You need an adapter that should have come with the HU to convert the aerial in the pic so it can connect to number 3. I think you ignore that silver thread screw, altho if it has writing next to it, that will tell you what its for.

number 4: nothing, as the bose is running off the pre outs

number 5: you need a double din fascia :( get it from ICT and cut the bar out of the middle, alpine fascia is not used. (not sure on this 1 actually as mine was the new Zed so its probably different)

Also, you will probably need to splice in a nice earth between the chassis and the black cable and that should solve your dimming problem i think (someone else to confirm please)

And GL getting all those fooking wires back behind the unit, mine is a serious pain and the top keeps popping up (altho it was doing this with the bose).

number 1: back on alpine HU there should be a steering wheel control input.

number 2: dont touch the brown plug. You need an adapter that should have come with the HU to convert the aerial in the pic so it can connect to number 3. I think you ignore that silver thread screw, altho if it has writing next to it, that will tell you what its for.

number 4: nothing, as the bose is running off the pre outs

number 5: you need a double din fascia :( get it from ICT and cut the bar out of the middle, alpine fascia is not used. (not sure on this 1 actually as mine was the new Zed so its probably different)

Also, you will probably need to splice in a nice earth between the chassis and the black cable and that should solve your dimming problem i think (someone else to confirm please)

And GL getting all those fooking wires back behind the unit, mine is a serious pain and the top keeps popping up (altho it was doing this with the bose).

Thanks for the info Richie, will have another stab tomorrow evening.

As you can see on this image:

photo510mediumedit.jpg

There is nowhere other than the circled input by the white and red speaker cables.... which I believe is for grounding? So I am confused to where I put the steering wheel control cable now! Unless it goes in the Aux in (on the front :headhurt: )

The stereo also didn't come with an adapter :thumbdown: , what adapter do I need from Male 350z Ariel to that Alpine Ariel female?

I haven't spliced the cables, will do it tomorrow...but the dimming is surely meant to happen for night driving, so when you turn lights on ..it dims?

Good point on the dimming, mine doesnt respond but i think that feature is disabled.

You can get the adapter from halfords for £4 ish and its something like an iso male to something else. I just got the one that had the right ends! There are 2 diff types, 1 has a cable between the 2 plugs, the other is all in 1, both will fit fine but the cable gives more flexibility as it has a tendancy to drop out when trying to cram all the wires in.

The steering wheel controls is def not the Aux on the front, you will need to check your alpine book as it will be marked in there. Mine was a pain in the arse to find, it may be that silver port, but im not 100% sure. If it is right, the headphone jack type plug will drop straight in. No harm in trying!

It may be possible to do it without splicing. If you get it all connected, switch it on with everything out and start the engine. Then rev it while the music is on and turned up to a decent level. If you notice a strange whining noise, or anything that changes as the revs change then you will need a better earth and will have to splice it in.

All hooked up, steering wheel controls work fine etc. Didn't need to splice and the volume is ok.

However, my rear speakers aren't working at all......any ideas? I have a black and a yellow RCA cables left over coming from the adapter cables and another two little cables....which could solve my problems but I don't see anywhere to put them!

photo534medium.jpg

photo533medium.jpg

The back of the headunit doesn't have any more inputs! So where do the yellow and black RCA cables go???

HELP :byebye::thumbdown::)

DONE IT.

Phew..... the cables needed splicing, which was frustrating. Then it took 4 attempts to refit with all the lengths of Ipod cable and steering wheel control cables etc...

photo536medium.jpg

photo537medium.jpg

Cubby

photo538medium.jpg

B) Shame about the wee gap at the bottom, but it doesn't bother me at the moment...it sounds too good for me to care and I can control via steering wheel ..really chuffed :D