Drivers side door won't unlock when very cold

andrew.pacey

Hi All,

Noticed this a couple of times now. I don't tend to use the Zed for travelling to work during winter but like to on the odd occassion.

A few weeks back I had used the car for work and when I went to go home at about 6pm (it had been freezing all day ground was solid), I couldn't unlock the drivers door. It wasn't a case of the door being 'frozen shut', but I just couldn't operate the lock. Could get in the passenger side no problem, but couldn't even then unlock the drivers door using the interior door lock - was just really stiff and not possible to press it down. After 10 mins perservering with trying the keyfob, interior lock etc it eventually worked and let me in. I thought it was just a one off and thought nothing more of it.

Yesterday morning it had frozen quite hard over night, and I couldn't get the drivers door to unlock again. Same symptoms but as I was already running late for work I took the other car.

Has anyone else had this same problem? Is it a fault or just bad design? Passenger door lock has operated fine on both occassions.

Any help would be appreciated!

Andy.

Not experienced this myself on the Z, however we did have the exact samesymptoms once on an MX5.

Turned out that it was water in the central locking motor which when frozen, would prevent the motor turning.

Also it prevented you from using the catch inside as the whole lot was connected.

The water must have made it in over time because of a slightly torn rubber seal on the locking mechanism attached to the motor, we needed a new central locking motor, and with the new one I drilled two small holes in the bottom of the housing so that any water ingress at a later date would just drain out of the bottom.

Looks like a door card off job and an inspection of your unlocing motor.

Yep, this has been known and has happend to a few people recently.... It seemed to be the window and seal sticking with the moisture in the air and then freezing... This also means the windows was not dropping the required 1/2 cm when door is open so be careful when closing the door....

One remedy is to rub your finger (gloved of course due to the cold!) round the top edge of the window (from the b-pillar to the mirror) quite hard and fast to generate some heat and this should defrost it...

Tried to open the boot on my old mans Jag on Sunday and had the same issue, had to run the engine for about 10 mins and rev the engine to generate some zorst heat!

But as chesterfield said, it could be the lock freezing as well....