What is the real bhp of the GT-R??

Beavis

US version is 480 at the crank.

Folks get confused because the GT-R only has a 10% drivetrain loss. People have been using a 15% loss when converting dyno numbers at the wheels to crank hp which gives a much bigger number than advertised.

A common dyno number is around 432 -- divide by .9 = 480

If you use 15%, take 432 / .85 = 508 -> the number a lot of reviewers come up with.

The GT-R engines are dynoed at the factory before installation, and they have to fall within a certain hp range or they go to the scrap heap. I hope mine is at the top of the range! :)

Yeah, few folks are buying Nissan's 10% drivetrain loss because it's unheard of. For comparison, the 350Z 6MT has about a 17-18% loss (AT is even more, close to 20%). A 15% loss is considered excellent.

Here in the US, the big GT-R competition is the Z-06 Vette, and the Z-06 folks are having a tough time figuring out how the GT-R is so fast since it has less crank HP and is heavier. I keep telling 'em to do the math.

Z-06 -> 505 x .85 = 429 at wheels

GT-R -> 480 x .90 = 432 at wheels

Add all the other efficiencies and technology to that, and the GT-R rules! :p

The other myth that the Z-06 folks are promulgating is the Z-06 will walk away from the GT-R above 100 mph. Not so fast Vettaroonie! Take a peek at the gear ratios; 5th and 6th are overdrives in the Z-06, and the GT-R has better gear ratios for acceleration in all 6 gears. This gives the Z-06 a slightly higher top end, but it takes it longer to get there. So until the GT-R starts getting close to top end, it's running a better gear ratio (keeping in mind HP at the wheels).

Then you have to find a Z-06 driver with the cajones to run her up that high (over 185 mph) -- not many of those around in my experience. Most of you know how stable the 350 is at 150 mph (maybe above if you have the speed limiter flashed out). Well, the GT-R is reputed to be even more stable from what I've heard from folks who have driven both (I haven't had the opportunity yet to determine for myself). I don't expect 185 mph in the GT-R to be a white knuckle driving experience based on my experience with the 350. My '03 350 (about 590 hp at the crank) has similar performance numbers to those of the GT-R.