Recoding the Bose stereo question

kustard

I'm having a big of a nightmare at the moment trying to sort a new stereo on Warranty for my Zed. Looks like the garage have agreed to swap it with a new one but are going on about not having anyone to recode it, which is dragging the whole process out.

How simple is this? Can I get my local Nissan dealer to sort it and how much would they charge? When you turn it on, I presume it just says 'secure' and then needs some magic working to get it back online.

If anyone can help Id appreciate it - I cant do without a stereo for much longer!

Good question - hope someone can give a definitive answer. I take it yours is a UK car?

I've read different things about the Bose system - some people have said its not coded at all, others have said its coded to the ECU (which might cause a problem in your case if its true). I believe i have all the original documents, handbooks, and paperwork for my car and there certainly doesnt seem to be any sort of security code for the Bose stereo.

i would bet it is coded to the ecu. just picked my car up after having a new bose unit fitted, went to open the car with my key and it wouldnt work, but the key i gave to the garage was fine. IF it is just an issue of recoding the keys to the car, its easy if one key works, but if both keys need coding then i dont know. the garage tried to fob me off saying the the bose was linked to the alarm and something else, but didnt bother to mention that the keys would need recoding...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well took the car in a few days ago and then popped stereo out, so they could supposedly get it working. Just had a call from them though saying their guys can't get the 'secure' message off, and are saying that they'll need to send it back to Clarion to get a reconditioned one back.

All good - except they're quoting me 450 quid for the privilege!

I just don't understand all this :( I read on here the HU is linked to the key fob, so because the HU is a new one (replaced by the guys I got the car from, as old HU skipped) it obviously doesn`t recognise the key fob that originally came with the car.

But isn`t this a simple to rectify? It must happen a lot no?

It's driving me insane! If anyone could shed any light that would be fantastic!

Well took the car in a few days ago and then popped stereo out, so they could supposedly get it working. Just had a call from them though saying their guys can't get the 'secure' message off, and are saying that they'll need to send it back to Clarion to get a reconditioned one back.

All good - except they're quoting me 450 quid for the privilege!

I just don't understand all this :( I read on here the HU is linked to the key fob, so because the HU is a new one (replaced by the guys I got the car from, as old HU skipped) it obviously doesn`t recognise the key fob that originally came with the car.

But isn`t this a simple to rectify? It must happen a lot no?

It's driving me insane! If anyone could shed any light that would be fantastic!

see the discount section, we now have discount with Clarion

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15320

total cost £295 B)

Thanks very much for the link, appreciated. This new stereo actually has nothing wrong with it, i.e. it doesn`t skip. It just needs pairing with the ECU - surely that can be done cheaper?

My last question would be, that after a bit of reading around it seems a lot of people recommend just ditching the BOSE and going aftermarket. Would people say that's maybe the best options, as the BOSE is likely to skip again down the line?

Thx again

if you unit is brand new it should work, I certainly wouldn't be wanting a recon replacement as per you pm. I don't see why you should pay anything else, the unit hasn't been supplied to work so they need to get it working.

A phone call to clarion may shed more light