Facelift headlights - weird bubbling in black paint/vinyl section?

FairladyLexi

Hi guys,

My passenger side headlight unfortunately got quite a bit of water in it during a very wet drive on Christmas Eve. The weather has been miserable lately, as we all know, and the condensation is finally clearing.

However, I've discovered that the black painted (or vinyl coated?) area at the bottom of the headlight has some strange bubbling that's developed since the water got in. Looks like veins and it's really gross...

IMG_3407.jpg.48bd54d85eb02ab689ed3b80efed6bc1.jpg

I know it's possible to dismantle the headlight with the aid of an oven, but any ideas what I'm dealing with? Can the paint be repaired or would it require that section to be sanded and repainted?

I'm hoping it might become less raised over time if the bubbling is due to water trapped underneath, but I realise I may be dealing with permanent damage here. It's a relatively minor cosmetic issue, but it bothers me nonetheless because I know how expensive the facelift headlights are to replace!

If you want it fixed to its a headlight apart job. Looks like it was poorly done, also if water is getting in it means it wasn't resealed properly and its likely your ballast will end up with water in it destroying it, I would personally look to take it apart paint it correctly and ensure it is sealed fully

50 minutes ago, rodgeevans said:

If you want it fixed to its a headlight apart job. Looks like it was poorly done, also if water is getting in it means it wasn't resealed properly and its likely your ballast will end up with water in it destroying it, I would personally look to take it apart paint it correctly and ensure it is sealed fully

To be clear, these are the original headlights and I don’t think they’ve ever been dismantled.

I’m also aware that the Z headlights aren’t fully sealed. They’re designed to vent and you can actually see into them a little through the wheel arches when they’re on. The ballast and bulbs were thankfully unaffected by that extremely wet drive (down the A3 during heavy downpours with standing water).

However, I’d like to know if anyone else has had the same sort of bubbling on the black section. I guess the only solution will be to wait for warmer weather, take it apart and repaint that section.

It would also be an opportunity to reseal the cover, too, as there might be gaps in the original seal.

Ahh my mistake I have seen bubbling like that from heat on rattle can painted parts, although there are breathing vents I am pretty sure you shouldn't be able to see inside of them are they missing the rear covers? 

Personally I wouldn't want them getting water on the inside. Had it on an old set and it eventually destroyed the ballast and made the inside of the lens dirty.

1 hour ago, rodgeevans said:

Ahh my mistake I have seen bubbling like that from heat on rattle can painted parts, although there are breathing vents I am pretty sure you shouldn't be able to see inside of them are they missing the rear covers? 

Personally I wouldn't want them getting water on the inside. Had it on an old set and it eventually destroyed the ballast and made the inside of the lens dirty.

I'm 99% sure the covers are still present. When I say you can see inside them, I'm talking a tiny hole I noticed when the headlights were on, same on both sides. It was only the passenger side that got water in it and I think it only happened because there was so much standing water on the A3 (mostly on the inside line) that night! I wouldn't have driven that way if I'd known it would be so bad. Visibility was horrendous.

I think I'll see if the bubbling in the paint gets any better, or worse, as the headlight dries out. When the weather is better, I'll look into baking and resealing both headlights and will probably have to sand and respray that black section. The oven method sounds scary at first, but so many people have reported it's very easy and done at low temperature! Should be doable.