Overheating - IPDM test

muzzer

My Z nearly overheated in gridlocked traffic this week - needle way up to the top of the orange border. Needless to say stuck in a jam this was not a pleasant experience, luckily  I was able after a while to get off onto a side street and let it cool for an hour, before driving a mile home when the needle stayed at about 40%, heating full on.

Later I ran the IPDM - which I have to say is a pretty cool feature for a car of that vintage - and the sole fan I heard is working, but it wasn’t very loud.  My q to you lovely fellow Z owners this rainy Sunday morning is how many fans should I hear during the test if all is working correctly? I’ve read different things, hence the q.

I appreciate that even if the fan(s) is working, the sensor may be broken. The coolant level is fine, if anything high. In all probability wherever it is is just due to old age, but any steer welcome. Nb I won’t be playing with the electrics myself so please don’t feel you have to waste time talking circuit testing - that’s well beyond me.

Thank you in advance, as ever. 

• 9 months later...