chrisphillips

Just bought a JDM here and I'm being stiffed for £400/year :rant:

Try owning a Z in Ireland - €1,491 road tax! :angry::angry::angry:

:scare:

Yeah, that's what happens when you have the Green Party in government :wacko:

I'd start windmilling until I hit a politician :boxing:

Just bought a JDM here and I'm being stiffed for £400/year :rant:

Try owning a Z in Ireland - €1,491 road tax! :angry::angry::angry:

But how does the on-the-road price of a new ZED in Ireland compare to England ;)

Generally car prices in Ireland are UK price +30%, due to higher registration tax. As you can see road tax is also alot higher (based on engine size and anything over 3.2L is in the highest bracket). Insurance is also more expensive.

All this explains why most people in Ireland drive around in 1.6L shopping cars!

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah it does seem really unfair that they are making this tax increase retrospective - they should really just start it for new cars. Penalising people for their car choice 3 years ago is really unjust.

FWIW, my old 1995 GTO kicked out God knows how much co2's, I would only get 220 miles a tank (£70 of V-Power thanuverymuch) and I'd STILL only have to pay £185 in tax. If they are trying to tax polluters shouldn't they have gone for people like me rather than Mr. & Mrs. Farty in their 1.8 Mondeo?

I had to pay £400 for my Z this year, £440 next year I think, so they are along the right lines for new cars and I accept that (they have to do something to discourage us from buying polluting cars so I am actually in agreement with their policy here), but they shouldn't be hitting people that have already bought cars several years ago.

It does worry me that we will leave this planet in a right old mess for our children, so the governments of the world HAVE to encourage us to change our ways by hitting us in the wallet. I'm getting all this performance car fun under my belt while I can still afford it - when car tax goes up to £1000+/yr (it is going up to nearly that in 2010 for the 1st year) that's when I'll probably go for a Yaris or some other piece of sh1t! :-)

Having said that, I have a mate who lives in Singapore, it's costs a fortune to run a car out there but that's not stopped him, or them, they still have massive traffic jams, so who knows what the answer is. :-(

Thr problem is that CO2 is not the major cause of global warming. The major cause is water vapour. CO2 has an effect but is very small in comparison and also is a logarithmic scale that we are at the top of already.

In other words we almost have the maximum warming effect that CO2 will provide anyway and pumping more CO2 into the atmosphere is really not going to change anything, one the graph goes flat we can pump as much as we like into the atmosphere with no effect.

Do you ever see climatologists trying to work out ways of reducing water vapour in the air? Do you see the government stopping mass building of flats and removal of green space in built up areas to help trap water vapour before it goes up into the sky?

I even saw one wonderful idea where we pump more water into the atmosphere to try and soak up CO2, even though the water vapour does more damage!!!

I am a firm believer that climate change is the latest fad to try and control the population with. Don't want somebody to do something, tell them they are destroying the planet and make them feel so guilty they stop. Want to raise more money? Invent a green tax because people can't complain about saving the world.....

Cynical? Me?

maybe, doesn't mean I'm wrong though.......

I am a firm believer that climate change is the latest fad to try and control the population with. Don't want somebody to do something, tell them they are destroying the planet and make them feel so guilty they stop. Want to raise more money? Invent a green tax because people can't complain about saving the world.....

Cynical? Me?

maybe, doesn't mean I'm wrong though.......

Very true. Water Vapour has a greater "greenhouse" effect than all the other greenhouse gasses combined.

Frankly it amazes me that the general public buy into this rubbish. With the advent of the internet any idiot with a keyboard can find out in five minutes on google that CO2 levels right now are at a below average level, historically speaking. Ignore the hype, look at the bare figures, there are many websites with graphical representations of atmospheric CO2 levels over time, and it's plain to see that there have been many periods in the Earth's past where CO2 levels have been MUCH higher, and this was long before Cars came along.

Furthermore, the hottest decade this century was the 1920's so I am very interested in what statistics the government are looking at to convince themselves that Global Warming is actually happening.

It's all lies and propaganda and as said takes mere moments to find out for yourself.

Having said that, fossil fuels will not last forever and my personal thoughts are that particularly thirsty vehicles should be banned from production. Taxing people as a deterrent will NOT work, we all love our toys and our cars represent far more than transportation and many of us would sacrifice other things before our cars, such as going out for a meal or a night on the tiles. Also retrospective taxation is particularly unfair, as others have said.

However if we were to ban the manufacture of anything that can't average say 20 miles to the gallon for example, that would be a start. In five years this figure could be increased to say 25mpg. This would spur the manufacturers on to developing more fuel efficient vehicles, which in turn would reduce the emmissions people seem so worried about. In 20 years who knows, we could have 500 bhp cars that do 40 to the gallon.