Window not dropping when opening door

RavenDW

This looks to be pretty common after some searching around. I found people reporting the problem from back when the 350z was first sold. I haven't, however, been able to find definitive "it's this, do this" responses.

Anyway, neither my passenger or driver's side windows are dropping a sufficient amount when opening the door. The result of this is that when the door is shut the window isn't sealing properly. I can physically push the window down a couple of centimetres when the door is open and when shutting it returns as it should. I can't imagine this is much good for the mechanism and it's a pain.

The passenger side moves slightly more, but the driver's window barely budges a couple of millimetres.

Also, when bringing the window up while the door is open is goes the full length of its travel rather than stopping before it hits the 'top', which makes me think that some sort of limiter isn't behaving the way it should (but I have no idea).

I've seen solutions ranging from reset procedures, changing the motor, finding a wiring fault or cleaning the guides inside the door. I don't think the motor is on its way out as the window goes up and down quite readily. 

Before I go down the path of stripping the door I'd appreciate a bit of insight if people have it. I found a great teardown SteveW made for the forum (which I'll attach), but I'd like an idea of what extent I need to go before taking things apart unnecessarily.

Window Guide.pdf

• 3 months later...