TP Sensor Problem

ALT

I encountered with my 350Z this morning. I was in north London and I had just pulled away from traffic lights when I lost all power. Various warning lights came on, so I pulled over. I switched off the engine and restarted. It seemed fine, but the engine warning light was on. I happened to be close to a Nissan garage (the one near the A1/North Circular), so I pulled in and they ran a diagnostic on it. It seems there was a problem with the throttle potentiometer sensor. The mechanic reset the engine management system and said that it may solve the problem, or it may not. Anyone had this sort of experience?

I can't think of anything like that off the top of my head, but the TP sensor I have heard of needing resetting. You can do the reset yourself, there is a guide on here how to do it. ;)

Is the car modified in any way?

The throttle potentiomenter as with the accelerator potentiometer has two resistance tracks and if the measurement is lost from one track (dirt or cracks) then the ECU shuts down to 1200 rpm maximum until the ECU is reset, the switch off switch on would have cleaered it i fit had been switch off and thevehicle gone through a lock unlock cycle so as to initiate another "drive" cycle.

It is not unusual for such an event to occur as the vehicle ages and when the rapid acceleration is required (overtaking or pulling away) the movement may cause the sensor to miss a measurement that in normal operations it would not notice (eg rapid pedal movement or throttle response) therefor IMHO a regular "blast" in terms of pedal and engine performance is a way of keeping thetracks a little more used...:D:D:D

Thanks for the information. Very helpful and reassuring. I’ve had no reoccurrence since. I will take the advice and ensure that the throttle is appropriately exercised in future ;)