Y pipe help

crute/higgins350z

Hi all, just replacing the y pipe on on 2003 350z and struggling to get the studs/ bolts&nuts to replace at the same time. I've tried nissan but they want quite a lot for them so I'm looking for an alternative or maybe I won't need to replace them when I do the job (advice would be gratefully appropriated)

Cheers all :)

It's best to replace all the hardware when changing over the pipe so remove the studs from the cat to y-pipe join and then you can just fit new bolts all the way through instead.

I just swapped over my y-pipe myself and would recommend you get six M10 40mm hi-tensile steel 8.8 bolts. You can order these from eBay for under £5.

Edited by Yorkie

Hi Yorker, thanks for your help and advice. Been chatting to zmanalex today who has helped me go in the write direction.

I got the bolts I should need locally and going to carry out the replacement Saturday and fingers crossed it goes well. The current bolts/nuts on the cat look pretty bad. :/

Thanks Yorkie, I'm lucky enough to work at a dealership so the guys can help if I get really stuuck. I Had to replace part of my exhaust on my daily a while ago and those bolts was corroded so I had to get the blow torch to to do that job so I know what you mean- can be a dam nightmare. Anyway I guess we'll see Saturday how it turns out. Thanks for all your advice fella, real nice of you. ðŸ‘

You're welcome mate, hope its not too painful.

I can almost guarantee that you will be needing that torch again.

In the end I used an angle grinder to cut off the nuts from the studs (takes ages with little space under jacks), removed the y-pipe, then added heat to the cat flange + stud to hammer the studs out. Think the cat studs have splines, so no threads, so they are easy to heat and hammer out.