Twin loop exhaust?

88 Zed

Hi all, quick question for the boffins.....

What are the benefits / losses from using twin loop exhausts?

I'm not changing the system on my Zed, just wondering why they are used. I've spotted them on standard cars (mainly hondas) and also seen them in the aftermarket world.

P.S Happy Easter :D

If your talking about Honda then the lads like the 'mugen twin loop exhausts'. It's basically an oem+ type of thing. A little more free flowing than standard but keeping the noise down a bit.

Never seen anything on a different car brand but I would expect they would be similar in terms of noise/performance.

Yea, my last car was an EP3 type R and I seen a lot available when I was doing the exhaust mods, so it's basically allowing more flow but without the increased noise you get from "cannon type" boxes?

I ended up replacing the lot from the engine back with stainless hi flow cats etc etc but had a stainless version of the standard back box to keep the noise down and that sounded pretty nice. Non of this bin lid exhaust sh#t, been there with my Impreza :s

Yea, my last car was an EP3 type R and I seen a lot available when I was doing the exhaust mods, so it's basically allowing more flow but without the increased noise you get from "cannon type" boxes?

I ended up replacing the lot from the engine back with stainless hi flow cats etc etc but had a stainless version of the standard back box to keep the noise down and that sounded pretty nice. Non of this bin lid exhaust sh#t, been there with my Impreza :s

Likewise mate, I had an ep3. Did a lot of n/a mods and had it mapped by tdi north. In the end I started running nitrous, all on a custom exhaust paired to a standard backbox! In fact a friend ran his supercharged ep3 on the standard backbox and pulled just over 300bhp (that's what made me realise it wasn't restrictive).

The mugen twinloop as far as I know was a compromise of power increase without the additional noise. Some of the other systems gave better gains but where dreadfully loud.

There was a point when you could still get the fujitsubo legalis r or the hks hipower silent exhaust which was supposed to be very quiet with maximum flow. Dunno about the hks but the legalis was a few thousand pound at least.

Likewise mate, I had an ep3. Did a lot of n/a mods and had it mapped by tdi north. In the end I started running nitrous, all on a custom exhaust paired to a standard backbox! In fact a friend ran his supercharged ep3 on the standard backbox and pulled just over 300bhp (that's what made me realise it wasn't restrictive).

The mugen twinloop as far as I know was a compromise of power increase without the additional noise. Some of the other systems gave better gains but where dreadfully loud.

There was a point when you could still get the fujitsubo legalis r or the hks hipower silent exhaust which was supposed to be very quiet with maximum flow. Dunno about the hks but the legalis was a few thousand pound at least.

Nice! I had one of those back boxes with the removable bung in it before I went back to standard, sounded either really raspy or stupidly droany.

Luckily when I bought my Zed, the preivious owner had fitted stainless cat back pipes with the resonator deleted and a fujitsubo back box, not too loud but still sounds awesome mid range. Didn't know they cost that much tho!

For now I don't think I can justify having a car. I have 2 work vans and carry out property Renovations. Business has been getting very busy over the past year or two and I've just bought a new house for myself that's going to need completely gutting aswell.

There's a few cars on the want list, possibly a newer shape m3 (2009 ish) or 370z nismo. For now the 370z is more than I would want to pay so will watch the prices and see if they come down a little once they have a few years on them.

Sounds good mate, can never complain about being busy!

Me and my girlfriend are looking to buy a house later on this year and it has crossed my mind a few times that if I sell the Zed it would speed things up money wise. I know It would be a long while before I could buy something like that agin tho.

Planning on starting my own business after we are settled into paying bills on the house etc so I'd be skint for a few years.

My thought on that scenario is that if the car is still putting a smile on your face and you have the time to drive it then keep it and enjoy it.

Sell it when your ready or you'll only wish you kept it a little longer haha