Blyton Park 24th September

brillomaster

• 2 weeks later...

Well that was an awesome day out! weather was warm and slightly cloudy all day perfect track conditions. my new track car handled exactly how I remember it did with standard (budget) tyres - playful! once the tyres have a little bit of heat in them they generally perform understeer - under steady state conrnering and applying throttle it'll gently push wide, but then again if you turn in more aggressively or whilst trail braking a bit, you can get the back to come round on corner entry, which can then be held into a scruffy powerslide on corner exit.

I say scruffy because with an open diff, theres never quite the predictability on the rear end - you can feel the power spinning away at whatever wheel is unloaded at the time, so unless you're aggressive with throttle its difficult to keep both wheels spinning. My friend was having a blast - he'd done a few laps in an elise and a few laps in a nascar thing, but his normal roadcar is a fiesta S, so not used to much power or RWD! he managed a few small slides - the first was gathered up a little scruffily, the second he held nicely! he's now coined a phrase 'brown flag moment' :lol:

In other news, the suspension is far too soft - through the quick left right left chicane, you have to put in steering inputs half a second before the car responds due to the weight swapping from side to side. but on the plus side with 50 profile tyres you can hit the kerbs pretty hard! talking of tyres, you never realise how much the pressures go up whilst on track. started the fronts at 31psi cold, which then went up to 36 when a bit warm. backed them down to 33, then got them really hot again, and they were up to 36 again! so that's a 8psi gain from cold to hot! settled on 33 front and 35 rear, which seemed to give a fairly neutral-ish balance - the car was running 225s front and rear.

The brakes surprisingly held up ok - there are no big braking points at blyton park, but by the end of the day one of the rear pads was completely down to metal - making horrible grinding noise on the way home! but will be ordering some EBC bluestuffs in the next few days.

And as for the 350z that was there, well, he overtook me round the outside of a corner and so received a talking to from the marshalls, so not that bothered to find out who it was!

Next trackday is at Donington in 4 weeks, so looking forward to that!

Edited by brillomaster