Fitting parking sensors - HELP!

CPhillips93

So I bought a set of parking sensors last year like these -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cobra-R0394-Flush-Mount-parking-Sensors-OE-style-parking-aids-/281916190467?hash=item41a383af03:g:Sv0AAOSwj0NUiDAS

Which I had arranged to be fitted yesterday/today by my bodywork guy. However, he called me today unable to fit them due to the aluminium reinforcing bar behind the bumper, which runs just underneath the foglights exactly where I want them - the usual place everyone seems to have them.

So the question is, how did people manage to fit the sensors underneath the foglights like this:-

Photo0243-1.jpg

Whilst avoiding the bar?

Any help would be great as I would really prefer to get these fitted and not sell them on!

Thanks

Conor

Unfortunately it would appear that your chap has just been a bit lazy.

There is space there, which is why as you correctly point out, most are fitted in that spot.

The visual clue from the outside is the body line that runs horizontally across the top of the tailpipes, where the bumper starts to curve under the car. The bottom of the crash bar is just above that line. It is about five inches deep, so that leaves just enough space to squeeze the sensor in under the indicator clusters.

Perhaps he thought he could just reach up from underneath and fit them, easy job. Then realised that you actually have to release the top of the bumper to get enough access, not so easy.

You can check it out yourself. The beam is visible if you look from underneath. Then take out one of the rear tail/brake light units and you will be able to get a hand down the back (this is how you change the bulbs in the lower light clusters) and you should be able to see/feel the available space.

Perhaps he hadn't budgeted the time for removing the bumper. Relatively straight forward, but a couple of fiddly bolts in the upper light wells that can easily become frustrating/ get chewed up if you're not familiar with how they work. Rear bumper removal is detailed here:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/350Z/coupe/2008_Coupe+Roadster/ Section EI page 15/16. :thumbs:

• Like 2