1st Gear Clicking (not *that* clicking)

Rook

I've noticed an odd 'tick tick tick' noise that seems to occur in first gear. It's not clicking as you accelerate from a stop, it seems to happen at higher revs when the car is cadence braking, mostly over say 3k rpm.

I'm quite used to it and didn't really think much of it until today it made a similar noise but louder, and much more frequently as I was giving it the beans; again above about 3-4k rpm.

This time the sound was like a load of gravel being kicked up, against the metalwork, and it made a similar noise, though quieter when slowing again.

No, there was no gravel haha.

At first I thought there might be something stuck to the wheel or under the brake caliper or something, but it only does it in first gear. It doesn't do it in neutral (so isn't to do with revs or clutch) or in second (which leads me to believe it's neither the diff, driveshaft, or another exhaust rattle, or related to the wheels).

Has anyone ever seen this?

It runs absolutely perfectly, even in first, and the noise can only be heard with the window down, not inside the car.

• Like 1

Just a note, turns out a good friend of mine's a Nissan tech, he thinks that despite the odd presentation, I could be wrong and it could in fact be *that* clicking, haha.

So we'll try the click fix and see if it makes a difference.

I'll post back if not.

• Like 1

Sorry to bump this, there have been some developments - the noise has changed.

So now, it's clicking repeatedly under cadence braking in any gear, once or twice per second. It does it while the clutch is biting, when downshifting, leading me to believe the clutch is actually making the noise.

In contrast, when under heavy power load; mostly in first, it will also click multiple times and sometimes continuously while accelerating.

I'm now pretty sure this isn't an axle grease thing.

The clicking comes from under the car, not axle specific as far as I can tell, and can only be heard with the window down. It does now after feel of the car at all (no clutch slippage or anything) but when under heavy load can be really quite loud.

Suggestions? Thanks!

• Like 1

Might only be in first gear because of the leverage the engine has on the drive train or the car, what year and mileage is your car? My clutch makes a rattle in neutral. Also what area is this in? Front back

Edited by Billyboy123

Hey, thanks for getting involved!

Car's an 07 (RevUp) with ninety-something thousand miles.

There's definitely no noise on the passenger side, I confirmed this today. Can't tell if front or back. I originally thought front but having actually stuck my head out the window now I can only tell it's under the car.

I just struggle to see how a 'tap tap tap' sound that comes when downshifting but not rev matched (so it pulls the revs up) has anything to do with axles.

That said there's all sorts of clicks and taps, so I'm gunna do the axle fix anyway and see what other noises I can rule out with that.

• Like 1