Speaker upgrade

hairyman68

Hoe did u do this. Been asking g alot on here but not any define answers. Did u up grade wiring? If so how did u feed and attached to headunit?

Are you referring to the coupe or roadster? I have installed a 5-channel amp with new cabling and speakers in my coupe.

I had a few days off so I decided to strip out all the panels and seats out etc to do all the cabling easier and put in some silentcoat at the same time. Was a bit of a ballache to get the speaker cables to the door speakers but other than that it was fairly easy, just a little time consuming.

I bought a custom sub box for the boot and installed the amp in the old bose sub cubby. Cables ran from amp to HU down the centre. Power down the passenger side from the battery. Both door speaker cables down the sides.

Gumpy, just lifted the speaker grill off to allow access and pulled the bottom of the door off the little plastic clips. Then 3 screws , 2 off which you can unscrew with a screwdriver and the lower one I used a 10mm ratchet as the screws have a hex head 10mm. Then disconnect the white cable clip on top and carefully pass the speaker between the door frame and door skin, ie out the bottom of the door. I cut the old ones out with cable cutters to leave just the out frame. Remove the white cable mount. The new speaker then mounted onto the ring with just 3 screws. Then make a short cable link up to allow you to attach to the speaker and then cable out of the hole in the top of the frame (where the white bit was). You can then re mount the speaker the same way it came out and use the link wire and 2 bullet connectors to reconnect the speaker. No have not upgraded the cable. Can see no need . Sounds great as is. New pioneer head unit going into tomorrow. But not sure how to access the rears for their upgrade.

Hope that makes some sense. If not message me for any help....

Mines a coupe. But tempted to change my speakers. Time will tell. Cheers for description.

I changed my speakers and used the old wiring first. It was a little better but nowhere near as good as when you amp them all up :)

I'll see if I can find some pics of when I did mine so you can get an idea of what to do.

• Like 1

Grumpy,

I bought Alpine as listed above. Sure there 6.5" . The link is just a small piece of cable (speaker type twin). It runs from the speaker itself and out of the old cable plug (removed so you can thread the link through it) and then connect to the original cables. ...? That make anymore sense..?

Sounds good. I may upgrade my speakers in time as I just used ones I had lying around from my last car.

I had Alpine SPG-17C2 2way 6.5" coaxial speakers in the rear and SPG-17CS 2way 6.5" components in the front. I have a 12" 2500w Alpine Type R sub in the boot.

I used these for the speaker door mounts: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005JZ8CK6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

My amp is a 5-channel JBL GTO-5EZ which cost about £200 but I cant remember where from. Would have preferred an Alpine 5-channel amp but didn't have £500 lying around at the time.

I used KnuKonceptz 4gauge wiring kit, 5m triple shielded RCA cables and about 15m of 12gauge copper speaker wire. All these from amazon.

I have a Pioneer AVH-x8500bt HU. Cant remember where I got that but was about £400-£500.

• 2 weeks later...

So I spent my Sunday afternoon/evening stripping the car and installing amp and front speakers and installed my 10"alphine sub. All good until I turned it on and sound from right was suberb. The left on the other hand is not working. Done a research tonight so tomo night may be elimination night. But anyone else had this. Have I done something? Is this something that happens?

Cheers.

Also sub could defo do with the sub box if anyone has one?