Programming a new UK key fob

kazman

Hi

I promise I have read the guid but I still have a question I need answering-

Do you unlock car with origional fob and then put origional key in ignition barrel and turn on off six times, then do the press the lock unlock buttons on the new fob (whilst origional key is in the ignition)

OR

Unlock car with original fob, then insert new unprogrammed key in to ignition barrel, turn on off 6 times and then press the lock unlock button combo on the new fob whilst it is dangling from ignition barrel?

Really don't want to end up with no working keys and I have found no clear answer to this despite loads of searches!

Thanks guys.

I haven't got the answer to your question but I can tell you my experience on trying this ..

I got the new key cut and then used the exisiting keyfob to unlock the vehicle ... using the new key I did the ignition on/off procedure bit and then pressed the buttons on the new key which was still in the ignition at the time ..

The indicator lights flashed as it said but then the new wouldn't work ... so i thought I'd just leave it for another time .. but now the old key wasn't working either for some reason ..

Anyway it it turned out that the transponder was active on the second key but the lock and unlock would only work from the old key.

so I just opened up the keys and swapped the transponder chip over and I was back to square one ... LoL

I think my issues were due to a dodgy keyfob though as the buttons on the new keyfob would work intermittently ...

I dont think you can screw your car up from the key anyway .. if it all goes a bit wrong then re-do the procedure unitl it works .. that's what i did.

I hope that helps. :thumbs:

Thanks for the detailed reply, much appreciated.

Still a touch apprehensive as this is the kind of issue I am keen to avoid. I would have thought you had to use the old key when you turn it on off 6 times so it is interesting that you used the new key for this procedure. Think I am more confused now but at least I know what to look out for!