Home made grounding kit? heat an issue?

ikarus

Hi,

I have enough 4 Guage cable from a car audio amp wiring kit to make up my own grounding kit. It seems like a pretty simple job, especially as the electrical guys at work can sort the ends out neetly for me. My only question is relating to temperature will the amp wiring kit be sufficiently heatproof for bolting to an engine block, do the kits you can purchase use a different type of cable?

Any advice welcomed, dont want to burn the z down :scare:

thanks, ikarus

Hi,

I have enough 4 Guage cable from a car audio amp wiring kit to make up my own grounding kit. It seems like a pretty simple job, especially as the electrical guys at work can sort the ends out neetly for me. My only question is relating to temperature will the amp wiring kit be sufficiently heatproof for bolting to an engine block, do the kits you can purchase use a different type of cable?

Any advice welcomed, dont want to burn the z down :scare:

thanks, ikarus

Im sure it should be okay as some stuff doesnt even melt with a lighter! But if you wanted to be safe im sure you could wrap some heat wrap around it?

Im sure it should be okay as some stuff doesnt even melt with a lighter! But if you wanted to be safe im sure you could wrap some heat wrap around it?

Good call. I can feel a bout of destructive testing coming on. I have plenty of cable, and various heat sources, including fire :D

Will post the results, if i don't burn the garage down :cry:

Dave

It's the same cable as most grounding kits so it isn't a problem.

Thanks, i 'assumed' it would be, be we know how dangerous assumptions can be!

I did some heat testing earlier on a small piece and its damned good stuff. Even when on a naked flame it won't burn.

Going to get the ends made up at work and fit it :)

Thanks all

It's the same cable as most grounding kits so it isn't a problem.

Thanks, i 'assumed' it would be, be we know how dangerous assumptions can be!

I did some heat testing earlier on a small piece and its damned good stuff. Even when on a naked flame it won't burn.

Going to get the ends made up at work and fit it :)

Thanks all

are you just going to use ring terminals? Get some pics up when finished.

are you just going to use ring terminals? Get some pics up when finished.

Will do, not sure what i will use yet. The company i work for design and build some serious electrical kit so i will ask them. Pics will follow shortly..

Quick update to conclude the question, i had the ends made up by a friend at work and i fitted the kit. There is a noticably smoother throttle response now which is nice. The big plus though is that the cable i used is absolutely fine, no heat issues at all. I have run this for approx 120 miles now with no issue, net cost £0 as i already had the cable. pics below...

DSCF1770.jpg

DSCF1768.jpg

DSCF1771.jpg

DSCF1772.jpg

DSCF1773.jpg

DSCF1774.jpg

DSCF1775.jpg

DSCF1776.jpg