Changing the rear indicator / fog-lights.

Wookiee22

Having had the front bumper off a couple of days ago to fit some EU spec headlights, decided I should probably get around to whipping off the rear bumper as well. Picked a dry spell yesterday and followed the guide here:

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Rear_Bumper_Removal

Didn't prove to be too difficult, I recommend laying a bit of carpet down under the car to prevent scratches if you don't have a second pair of hands to assist when you need to disconnect the lights when the bumper eventually slides off. The only casualty was my cheap and nasty Draper crawler that snapped in half when I sat on it. Hmm.

I was tempted to have a crack at clearing out the oem unit (as in the Guides section) but didn't want to risk melting anything and being stuck without a legal car! Instead I got a couple of clear units from US eBay. The reason for wanting to do all this wasn't really cosmetics, instead I needed to switch the fog light over to the left (and reverse to the right) and be able to switch them back to normal without the rigmarole of bumber removal. This was achieved with some very simple crossover wiring behend the bumper and bullet connectors to allow it to be switched easily. Got hold of a red LED light for the foglight and just swapped over the reverse light. All very simple!

While the bumper was off I had a crack at polishing up the tailpipes too!

Anyway, this is how it looks now:

BackofZ.jpg

The wiring is really very simple and I can't think off too many people who would have any need for such a mod, but if there's any interest drop me a PM and I'll put some pictures up.

Next on the card is fixing a dashboard rattle, then I reckon we're ready to export to Germany!

Looks cool, but TBH i think they are abit too crystal. The OEM clear ones look better if you can source a genuine JDM or USDM rear right indicator and then simply replace the existing foglight bulb with an extra bright silver tipped red LED bulb. So you get the 100% clear look, and retain the red foglight without any re-wiring. There is a write up on the forum for it, and thats what i did afew weeks ago. Evens the rear end out nicely and still looks OEM.

Nice one, Wookiee. I've the same Fog and reverse on mine over here too. I think I like the Crystal lights. A bit different than the OEM.

I cleared out my OEM fog using the guide just in case I change back. A really easy mod tbh. I've posted some pics of progress.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=23262

The US headlights I bought flew through the BFG test and so did the 'clear' LED fog light. I was seriously worried about them though when I dropped the car off at the BFG test centre.

Good luck with the BFG. I found AXA to be the cheapest BFG insurer. 60 euro a month.

• 4 weeks later...