Does Head Unit with Amp still need a PAC

nismoip

Hiya all as my HU playing up I've decided to get myself an aftermarket HU

But from what I have read to get an aftermarket unit working I require an PAC converter to hook it up to the BOSE Amp.

But would I be correct to say if the HU I am getting has an built in AMP I can then eliminate the BOSE amp and the need for an PAC converter???

Hiya all as my HU playing up I've decided to get myself an aftermarket HU

But from what I have read to get an aftermarket unit working I require an PAC converter to hook it up to the BOSE Amp.

But would I be correct to say if the HU I am getting has an built in AMP I can then eliminate the BOSE amp and the need for an PAC converter???

As, above, if you remove everything ie. the Bose/clarion headunit, the bose AMP (in the boot), the speakers and sub - and replace these with non-bose items, then you won't need a PAC adaptor. But you will need new cabling, speakers and sub.

Problem you'll find is there's no direct link from the bose headunit plug in the dash to the speakers - the output from the headunit is all routed to the amp in the boot, this then powers the speakers - which is why you'll need PAC adaptor unless you replace the lot. All the PAC adaptor does is to cut the signal from an amplified headunit down, so it can be used as an input to the bose amp.

Steve

BOSE are just a marketing company who put their name on stuff other people make. Short answer is no. If you buy a Clarion, the output level from it will be different to that needed to operate the controls etc. All the electrickery to do the phone kit and the steering wheel controls is in the BOSE unit itself, so any aftermarket head unit will need the connector (unless you're not bothered and are ripping everything out of course).