Renewal with Elephant/Admiral

JoshC

Certainly in my experience it's only Admiral that automatically enrol in the auto-renewal scheme - I'm aware of others that offer the service but it's opt in, not opt out like Admiral (who will systematically ignore your opting out for as long as they can).

Quite a few companies do this now. In fact my motorbike insurance company, Carole Nash have just kindly taken my full insurance premium out on the auto renewal date, despite me already paying it in full over the phone 3 days previously when I was speaking to one of their insurance advisors about my renewal price. Even more anoyingly the I actually questioned whether this would happen with the advisor who re-assured me that they wouldnt take the money out again on the renewal day. Sigh!

I had the same problem before with another insurance company. I phoned up well ahead of the automatic renewal and told them I did not want to renew with them as id got a cheaper quote elsewhere. The insurance company still went ahead and took about £300 out of my account via their automatic renewal. I then had to chase them to refund me it - which took weeks, and even they they said that they "couldnt" just transfer the money back to me, they had to go through some long winded refund process which resulted in a cheque through the post for the amount.