Some shots taken from a run over the peaks

James Junior

Is it not full of lumbering trucks on a sunday then? How does the Z compare with the Z4(M?)?

My outgoing Z4 was just an Si, so a 265bhp 3.0, not the full fat 3.2 M.

It was an incredible car - fast, economical and so precise. So much car for the money and timeless to look at with a private reg on it. It was just the right amount of power for the road I feel - fast, but not silly fast if you know what I mean. I owned it two years and only sold it as I wanted some more mod cons like heated seats, nav and hands free.

The paddleshift auto was better in the BMW - auto shifts were quicker and more intelligent, whilst the paddles also seemed to shift more quickly and smoothly. The quality of the cabin was also better and it was more worthwhile working the engine through the range as the torque was more progressive, without the big fat mid-range of the 370.

Conversely the 370 feels significantly more grunty in-gear, particularly in the mid range and has more charisma than the rather clinical BMW.

In terms of handling comparisons, the BMW was on Bilstein B8s and Eibachs, with powerflexed front arms and it cornered with virtually no roll at all with incredible turn-in. If anything it was so composed that it actually eroded confidence a bit, as it was a bit lacking in feedback. It never felt anywhere near its limit when hustling it along a deserted twisty road despite having incredible pace and I never wanted to push it that bit further to find out. I bet it would have been amazing on track where you could properly explore what it could do. By comparison the 370Z is a bit softer and you feel the rear a little more, but I actually prefer it as I feel like I know what it is doing and actually feel like I am able to carry more momentum through corners as a result.

Both good cars with different strengths and weaknesses. interestingly when I am being reserved according to the trip computer I am getting almost as good a fuel economy from the 370Z as I was from the BMW.

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments guys.

Twallis - I don't know what you are talking about. Must be your head that's on the wonk. Try leaning your head a few degrees to the side! ;)

(I did notice when I put the private plates on, but the rear one was just stuck on so I just stuck my private reg over the old one - must get round to refitting it properly!)

Great road... though not one for giving it beans...

Heading up the hill from Holmfirth is a great twisty road but coming down the other side where you parked up scares me every time.

Great looking Zed and interesting thoughts on the Z4 :)