Dead flies and bugs on paint work.

Pimm

I have just got back from a great drive through France and Switzerland and the car is covered in bugs.

I have washed the car and then using Auto glym polish tried but cannot remove these bugs. I have tried Scratch X and nothing is doing it. The bumper and nose part of the bonnet is awful. It almost looks like I have had it painted and gone out driving before it has dried. Any advice on what I can try?

I've seen people use Tardis and I've used some different Waxybox samples. They smell like the end of the world, so I'll be ordering this next.

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/dodo-juice/tarmalade-tar-rubber-and-glue-remover.aspx

I like the idea of it being thicker and clinging to tar and bugs for a few minutes before removal.

You might find the bugs have etched into the paint, if so you'll probably need a machine to remove it.

If not though, then Tardis or even AG Tar Remover is pretty good if you want to pop to Halfrauds today.

• Like 2

What did you use when you washed the car?

Bug splatter usually softens up a considerable amount when it's soaked, so try a decent prewash with a good dwell time if you haven't already, and then rinse thoroughly with a pressure washer and see how you get on. I suggest either a decent snow foam (Bilt Hamber or Car Chem) or a decent citrus prewash (Auto Finesse Citrus Power). Allow as close to 5 minutes to dwell as you can (you might need to reapply to keep it from drying out in the current heat) and they should just lift off with the pressure washer with enough encouragement.

Using SRP won't do anything to help here, it's got no cut so it's like waxing over the splatter.

You might find the bugs have etched into the paint, if so you'll probably need a machine to remove it.

If not though, then Tardis or even AG Tar Remover is pretty good if you want to pop to Halfrauds today.

This almost seems the case as this has happened to me many times and never a problem until my trip last week to France and then extreme temperatures must of contributed to the affect. Off to the body shop me thinks.

What did you use when you washed the car?

Bug splatter usually softens up a considerable amount when it's soaked, so try a decent prewash with a good dwell time if you haven't already, and then rinse thoroughly with a pressure washer and see how you get on. I suggest either a decent snow foam (Bilt Hamber or Car Chem) or a decent citrus prewash (Auto Finesse Citrus Power). Allow as close to 5 minutes to dwell as you can (you might need to reapply to keep it from drying out in the current heat) and they should just lift off with the pressure washer with enough encouragement.

Using SRP won't do anything to help here, it's got no cut so it's like waxing over the splatter.

I have had this happen many times but with elbow grease and correct procedure of washing and polishing they have always been easy to remove but this time no way. It almost looks like the bugs have acid in them causing them to mark the paint in a way that it will polish very smooth but by hand will not remove the awful marks left on the bonnet and bumper.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to work in a motor factors and we would sell loads of traffic film remover (TFR) to the lorry companies, it is usually concentrated and strips off everything and is pretty cheap. I now buy it in 25l drums (lasting several years) and dilute it 50/50 water to use it in a sprayer. Within seconds of it going on the bumper the bugs are starting to dissolve, a minute or so later and they wipe off with no rubbing. Its Also great on upvc windows, oil stained floors and VERY diluted, upholstery.

Note of warning though, its really strong stuff, it will strip the oils from the paint if you don't regularly give it a coat of wax afterward (probably why so many lorry's have faded paint) and if you use it too strong on upholstery or vinyl roofs (10 tfr/90 water) the stitching will dissolve and it'll fall apart, believe me it happened to an old boat cover I had.

I usually now spray the front of the car, engine bay and wheels, then go and fill the snow foam tank, come back give it a little gentle agitation then snowfoam the whole car, dry it and wax it, a couple of hours and its like new. B)

Edited by 350zroadsterGT