Hillclimb Zed

My trackday plans for this year have been scuppered so I tried a bit of hillclimbing.

The old Zed isn't really a hill climb car but what the hell - when else do you get to give it some hammer? Had an absolutely brilliant day, loved it.

It was a Harewood Academy day. I'd recommend it to anyone from these parts. Loads of in depth instruction and had over a dozen goes at the hill..

This was one of my slower but more entertaining runs. Longest hillclimb in England apparently...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube....ed/IEqrFXKr2QI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Like 6

My trackday plans for this year have been scuppered so I tried a bit of hillclimbing.

The old Zed isn't really a hill climb car but what the hell - when else do you get to give it some hammer? Had an absolutely brilliant day, loved it.

It was a Harewood Academy day. I'd recommend it to anyone from these parts. Loads of in depth instruction and had over a dozen goes at the hill..

This was one of my slower but more entertaining runs. Longest hillclimb in England apparently...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube....ed/IEqrFXKr2QI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice one Keiran!

Good to see another Z having a bash at Hillclimbing?

Take a look at my trackday/ Hillclimbing thread to see a couple of other venues.

Thanks guys.

I've seen some of your vids Andy - great stuff. I'm guessing you're in the modified road going class? I'm going to enter some of these but the classes confuse me. It seems that un-modified production cars tend to stick to two litres. I'll have to make some inquiries..

Thanks guys.

I've seen some of your vids Andy - great stuff. I'm guessing you're in the modified road going class? I'm going to enter some of these but the classes confuse me. It seems that un-modified production cars tend to stick to two litres. I'll have to make some inquiries..

I run in class 4b which is road going cars over 2000cc when st Gurston but it depends on the club holding the event.

Brighton and Hove club who run the sprints at Goodwood and the brighton speed trials puts my boosted Z in C4 which is road going cars over 3500cc!

If you want and help with what you can and can't do to the car and what clubs you need to join let me know.

Regards

• 2 months later...

I entered a couple of rounds of the competition in September. It's a hell of a thrill. Just the smells and the sounds are so much better than sitting at home watching the F1. Wish I'd done it years ago. There were some great cars there - I'd have an Alpine if forced to choose.

21891523968_a7e3866fc1_z.jpgCIMG0269 by Kjwob, on Flickr

They give you 6 split times so you know exactly what each slide costs or gains.. helps those who aren't instinctive drivers I suppose :)

Did some respectable times but will now inevitably spend money chasing a few tenths just to stay ahead of certain folk.

22079444375_d4f4689d26_c.jpgCIMG0289 by Kjwob, on Flickr

CIMG0289 by Kjwob, on Flickr

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jQ7tYXjf4dU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by Kieran O'Quick
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...

Well turns out there's no competition up here - road going over 2 litre 2wd class is there for the taking. I've got the record in a bog standard Z. Any local Zs fancy a crack at beating my time? C'mon, let's be 'aving you etc.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LghiZW_06bg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by Kieran O'Quick

How the f do you embed stuff? :)

Copy the Youtube link and then paste it in between Youtube tags but remove the "s" from the http otherwise it won't work. ;)

Guide below in the link but remember to post the URL between Youtube tags.

Link: http://www.350z-uk.c...youtube-vidoes/

Nice video btw & looks like a lot of fun. :D;)

Thanks folks it's a great buzz. I'll have another go at that embed GM, thanks

that does look pretty sweet, nice long course and if you're getting up into 3rd you might be going some! too much wheel shuffling going on for my liking though, hands at 9 and 3 next time :p

Git..

..but you're dead right, was hoping nobody would notice :)

Every time I go I swear I'll keep the hands on like a pro but it's so hard not to revert to old habits under the gun.

• 2 years later...

So the Zed has been up on the hill for a few years now. An update is well over due. Will keep it to the figures. Interesting for people who want to mod. No real handling mods done, stock suspension and interior. Mucked with the POWAH in pure Clarkson style though.

Started in a bog standard rev-up in 2015. Cloth seats model on brand new Mpss.  

Ran 70 seconds all day. 

2016 kept the same setup all year apart from a Cosworth airfilter. With loads of practice a 67.82 was the best time. 

2017 the rules changed to allow better tyres. Went to r888r but tainted the experiment by throwing in a Kaaz also. After 40+ runs over the season it got to 66.17.

2018 had some breakdowns early on (propshafts are wafers) but they'd layed some new tarmac so all data is void.:wacko: Glen from Wax and Shine  turned up in his Z and pushed me to drive harder than I ever would too. 

went to Nankang AR1s which look amazing but need heat.

Vortech got it down to 64.67. 

Clutch was always a reliability worry so got a new Completion Clutch and Ultra Light Fly. Finished the year on 63.73. 

Have to say it feels a bit eh, wiggly, at these speeds so might have to look at handling mods but am still not convinced they'll make it quicker.. 

• Like 3

All stock underneath. Not even coilovers. I'd wrung its neck in standard form for two years and then had to chose between handling and power. Power was always going to guarantee faster times so blew the budget on that. 

I was worried that I could have spent on all the handling mods but potentially gain naff-all or even make it worse. The problem is lack of testing time to vary set-ups.  And it was all unproven on our hill in our car.

Fortunately,  Glen has done a season testing a good handling NA Zed. He's been pretty pacy so looks like there's time to be had

Edited by Kieran O'Quick
  • Like 1

I would start with arb's and get a decent alignment, that was the single biggest improvement i made on my zed, given its probably not overly bumpy a decent set of progressive springs will be up to the job, i never felt the std shocks were too badly dampened to be fair!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...