I need a V8 (AKA Porsche thread)

ATTAK Z

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
14 hours ago, ATTAK Z said:

Thanks. Yep it's a '72 small block Chevy 350 (5.7 litres)

Ha ha love it. :cloud9: I bet that sounds fantastic especially when you first turn the key to start it.

Please do share any videos of it running if you have any. :teeth: 

1 hour ago, GMballistic said:

Ha ha love it. :cloud9: I bet that sounds fantastic especially when you first turn the key to start it.

Please do share any videos of it running if you have any. :teeth: 

• Like 1

Definitely recommend getting an air fuel ratio gauge added if at all possible as this will help with watching the running of the car. Especially with a carb which is essentially a controlled fuel leak :lol:

If you have some spare change (it's not cheap!) laying about, MSD Atomic EFI (Electric fuel injection) plus an MSD distributor would transform the car, they even make it look like there's still a carb on it.

1-msd-efi.jpg

It's plug and play but it also self learns, so will adapt it's mapping to the car. If you have 15 minutes or so spare this video shows the differences quite well.

Sorry for rambling, I had a 350 small block in my truck, so I've done days and days of research into them and now I don't have one :lol: On the motortrend on demand site there's loads of videos about/involving the 350 small block, if you want my login details, just ask.

@AliveBoy

Many thanks for the insight and recommendation ... I found the vids very interesting. However as I've stated in the past, I don't have any skills in the mechanical engineering discipline. I'm a civil engineer with architectural leanings so I've never been able to fix my own cars. I suppose that comes of not having the income to buy motorbikes/cars to play about with when I was a teenager.

I bought a classic so that I could attend the classic car shows and the one I bought (the Chevelle) was complete and ready to roll. There are just a couple of things that worry me and need fixing before I can trust it to get me there and back as it were, without incident.

I shall be getting a carb guru to give it the once over to that end and then I'll be happy to do a few shows this summer. At least I've fixed the smell of fuel by fitting a new fuel tank cap.

I know I'll never get the reliability of the 911 but I would at least like to be sure the the wife and I don't have to spend hours waiting for the RAC to arrive ha ha ... we're too old for that Ha Ha

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
5 minutes ago, ATTAK Z said:

Right, the Chevelle has gone, I'm now looking to get a Corvette. I had a TransAm for 11 years in the '90s so I'm OK with LHD ... let's have your proposals with a budget of £20K - C6/C7 ???

You will struggle to get a good C6 for that and a C7 is still £40k onwards. We live in the wrong country :(

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Mikevv said:

You will struggle to get a good C6 for that and a C7 is still £40k onwards. We live in the wrong country :(

You would only get a c4 or c5 for that money in North America, and let’s face it they are shite to drive 

Prices may come down when the C8 comes out, C7 would be my choice, but still pricey. Have you checked under the mattress Hugh for some extra pennies? 

6 hours ago, OnlyAfro said:

C5 = £10k-£20k

C5 Z06 =  ~£20k

C6 = £20k-£35k

C6 GS = £30k+

C6 Z06 = £30k+

Purely my opinion on these:

C5: Good value, iconic looks (pop up lights, muscly etc) but hard to find a pristine example . Lots of paint fade esp red, yellow cars that I have seen

C6: Better value but really lacks something without the wide body that's found on the GS/Z06.  Also I would be tempted to avoid the convertible less hassle maintenance wise  

C6 GS/Z06: My concern with the Z06 is the supercharger, maintenance, overheats etc. Prefer the NA GS. When you consider these are approx £10k more than a C6 it makes more sense to spend a bit more and buy a C7 Stingray imo which will continue to be a desirable car with an interior that's another world to all Vettes before it 

C7 Stingray: £40k+ with the C8 coming out 2020, buying an unmolested C7 would be a good proposition as they effectively will be the final front engine cars. I don't think these will plummet like the C6 however and stay around early £40k for a sub 20k mileage car 

Edited by hmale4yu