313, worth the extra

Hi, I'm hoping to buy a Zed this weekend and am wondering if its worth paying the extra for the facelift car? The visual impact is minimum other than the bonnet really, however I gather it's a virtually new engine. Performance wise, is there much difference between a 2008 car or the slightly older car? Also, is there any major reason why one may be better than the other?

Any help is appreciated

Jamie

If your budget runs to a 313HR, then yes it is well worth imo.

Just be careful when yu are looking for ads that say "facelift" as that can (and more often does) mean the 2006 rev-up that was introduced in March 2006 and unsold stock carried on being sold into '10 plates, as the 313Hr was introduced in 2007. Also many earlier 350's have had HR 'bulge' bonnets fitted as a desirable mod an some new buyers have been caught out........not helped by too many dealers either not knowing the difference (being generous with that description) and/or going solely by registration date.

The HR engine can cope with up to 500bhp and more on standard internals, whereas the earlier engines are more restricted, unless forged.

But in standard form there is naff all difference between the models on the road, speaking as someone who has had all 3 engines, albeit the HR engine in my case was in a 370 which has a little more bhp than the 350HR.

Good luck with your search :thumbs:

It's night and day. Even if you ignore the extra power and the much nicer interior, the fact the engine revs an entire 1000rpm higher than the stock DE makes for a much more exciting driving experience.

If you can stretch, you really should.

• Like 1

Had a revup and I had a HR. The HR is just better. Feels nicer through the range. Revs that little bit higher.

Better interior

Bonnet bulge

More tuning potential etc. If you can. Do

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Changed my HR313 for an 06 soft top. 12 months later bought the same HR back. World of difference in power delivery. Take a look on YouTube at the fifth gear review.

Thanks everyone. HR it is then! What should I be paying roughly for a 58 plate, GT, black with black leather, 60k miles, no sat nav, 2 former keepers, full history and Milltek cat back exhaust? Car is very clean, wheels just refurbed

Thanks everyone. HR it is then! What should I be paying roughly for a 58 plate, GT, black with black leather, 60k miles, no sat nav, 2 former keepers, full history and Milltek cat back exhaust? Car is very clean, wheels just refurbed

hi jamie. Last september i bought a 58 plate GT313 in black obviously hr It has sat nav and full history with leather etc manual . Car has only done 8000 miles I paid £13'500.00 quite expensive but hey ho i like the car .. I think this was fair at the time plus i got a years full warranty

Hope this is of some use. PS deffo go for the HR

Wow, 8000 miles on a 58 plate! you did (mig)well there! Sorry...

I think the car is priced right, just need to look through the history to see what's been done in the way of clutch, belts, fluid changes etc to see what bills could be lurking.

Welcome

I have a 313 roadster, great bit of kit

It's worth the extra just knowing it's a 313, and has a bulge in the bonnet.

Watch out for the usual exceptional gearbox whine, they all do a bit, but should quieten down when it warms up

HR engines are prone to blow two paper gaskets in the timing cover at over 60k.

Check the oil pressure is ok, should be at least 15psi at tick over when hot.

If they're blown,it'll be down to less than 10psi.

This is a lot of work to repair

Clicky rear axles, not a big job, but common

Good luck with the new purchase, very exciting your first Zed

Wow, 8000 miles on a 58 plate! you did (mig)well there! Sorry...

I think the car is priced right, just need to look through the history to see what's been done in the way of clutch, belts, fluid changes etc to see what bills could be lurking.

ha ha. Yeah i think i did (mig)well really as i checked with a friend who is a trader and he said the price was about right. I liked the car and thought if i dont buy it then it wont hang around for long and it ticks all the boxes and they look great in black. At the end of the day its only money and if you have it spare and can afford it then live for today. 😃

Welcome Jamie. For reference, I paid 12,800 for my 58 HR, 54,000 miles, sat nav, alezan leather. It seemed a touch on the high side, but the car felt right and I haven't regretted it for a second!

Welcome another fellow Jamie with soon to be a HR! I never experienced another model, well never drove a Z till I bought mine and only went in one the first time that morning, but you know when a car is right! Whatever you buy you will be happy ! i paid £9500 but it required a full set of tyres and had a few stone chips with 44k miles other than that completely standard temper orange fully specced, just remember you will be spending a fortune modding after joining this forum! Im pretty sure im already up to half the cars value in mods...

Well, it was too good to be true. Just been to the dealer to see the car and attempt to buy it. Car was lovely, really liked it and having done all the usual checks, I asked if we could go for a drive and then do the deal. Just as he did when I viewed a car in the past at the same place, he was reluctant to let me drive and insisted we went through the paperwork first. I wanted to see the history anyway so agreed. Service book was stamped but gave no indication as to whether coolant or brake fluids had ever been changed. I mentioned writing down the reg number so I could speak with insurance co. and name of former keeper as I'd like to contact them to ask what other work had been done, in the absence of any receipts. That's when things went downhill. fast. His tone changed and I was told that I would not be allowed to contact the previous owner. I suggested that as I was looking to do the deal but would feel happier if I could have a 5 min chat with the last owner, and as doing your 'homework' is advised, I was starting to worry that maybe something was being hidden. I was told that there may be a reason why the last owner may bad mouth the car, or they may not, but frankly its irrelevant and 'too much information, that I didn't need' and that I needed to get this idea out of my head. I argued that it is entirely relevant to me and as I am the buyer, and if there is nothing to hide, then he was not helping things. After several minutes of rather frustrating going back and forth I walked out.

I memorised the last owners name and the area he lived (its not too far from me) and I've tracked his full address down now from google. I'm hugely put off the car but a intrigued to see if the car has a hidden past or not so may still attempt to make contact.

The search continues but it had better hurry as I've sold my BMW and doing the nursery drop off by pushbike with a baby seat on the back is no fun

I saw it on the v5 and figured I could memorise it but just happened to mention that I would make a note of it. Didn't ask for a phone number. But he soon grabbed the v5 from me so I could no longer see the details. Very strange situation! He said whenever in the past he's provided detail of former keepers it has ended badly. I said it may not this time but if you tell me I categorically cannot contact them then it's a deal breaker anyway (I was fast assuming a cover up by this point) so what's the harm. He said no. I walked off huffing and puffing