Zed Owners MUST READ! P0011, P0021 Caused by "OIL Gallery GASKETS"

laytonanthony

There is no recall. It's also not unusual for manufacturers to alter the specs of various parts over the life cycle (and beyond) of the car, but not to recall the cars to fit them.

Thanks for clearing that one up

As far as oil presure is concernd where should it be ?

Is there anyone local that could check my timing? I'm not confident in the engine builders having timed it up right. I'm replacing the oil pump aswell so before I put it all back I would like the timing checked to be 100% sure. Obviously I will pay for the mechanics time!

Ant

I had this problem and sorted it myself

Mine was the May thread mentioned earlier

It's a sod of a job as stated at least a day if you've not done it before and it all comes apart quite well.

Mine didn't and took me considerably longer

Do not attempt this if you are not a competent mechanic, but if you know your way around a set of spanners, it's no worse than say changing a clutch, just a lot of stuff to take off, before you get to the little beggars

Nissan will not recognise there is an issue, so no recall unfortunately.

Odd how the new gaskets are way better than the old ones though, considering there's no issue

As stated don't ignore this one it will get worse and will eventually kill your motor.

You don't lose oil as it's an internal leak,

Luckily if you do it in time, you will save your engine and we with Zeds have oil pressure gauges, so you can see the problem, unlike the G guys

I now have to be really careful when cold as my oil pressure is 110psi just on tick over and doesn't start to drop for a good 3-4 miles running

It took me about 2.5 hours to access the gaskets. Although I've already removed the engine and put it back in so the front end come off pretty quick. You need to loosen the one left tensioner to get access to 2 of the screws. There is one screw behind one of the cam sprockets but you can access it with a thin screw driver. Rest is straight forward!

Is there anyone local that could check my timing? I'm not confident in the engine builders having timed it up right. I'm replacing the oil pump aswell so before I put it all back I would like the timing checked to be 100% sure. Obviously I will pay for the mechanics time!

Ant

]]

Not extremely complicated to do the timing Ant, just follow the workshop manual: EM.pdf, page 51 onwards :)

Adrian I'm not 100 percent and would rather have someone cast their eye over it to make sure it's correct. Still not convinced the engine builders have done it right. I just have to be sure it's spot on before it all goes back then I can write that part of the problem off!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Information from infinity tech.

Number: 548509

Vehicle Application:

2008 G37 3.7

Customer Concern: Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) is on. Bank 1 Intake Valve Timing (IVT) control code P0011. Has a low power complaint. The engine will not rev higher than 2400 RPM. Scan data shows the bank 1 IVT at -14 degrees and the bank 2 IVT at 0 degrees at idle. Can manually operate the IVT control solenoids on each bank and get the engine speed to drop the engine to run rough.

Average Reported Mileage: 50000

Tests/Procedures: 1. Scope the Camshaft Position (CMP) sensors and the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor and check for good square wave signals and check the phasing (sync) of the signals.

2. Remove the bank 1 intake valve timing cover from the front of the timing chain cover and use a 3 mm allen wrench in the front holes in the center of the bank 1 intake camshaft sprocket - it should only go in about 3/8 inch. The back holes should allow the allen wrench to go in over 3/4 inch.

3. If the front holes only let the allen go in 3/8 inch, then the intake camshaft sprocket is at 0 degrees. So then either the timing chain is off, or the camshaft sensor reluctor fingers on the front of the camshaft sprocket may have turned on the sprocket.

4. Can see if the reluctor will turn on the front of the intake camshaft sprocket. See related document for position of the reluctor fingers on the front of the camshaft sprocket.

Tech Tips: We have been seeing cases of the reluctor fingers for the CMP sensor, turning on the intake camshaft sprockets. The reluctor fingers are press fit onto the front of the sprockets. The related document shows the known good (new sprocket) CMP sensor reluctor position on the intake camshaft sprocket, along with one where the reluctor had turned on the sprocket. See if the reluctor is loose and if you are able to turn it, and also if it is in the correct position. The photo is from a 2012 but both are 3.7 Nissan engines so I would expect them to be the same. The pictures are not straight on but hopefully they will give you an idea if that is the issue with the vehicle you are working on.

His reply

ts most likely timing related, hope this helps! ^

PM me, ill send you some more info off identifix, theres some other comfirmed fixes aswell.

"I have a feeling its related to your timing, The sprocket/chain might have been installed wrong,"

The DE oil gasket issue is far more common so I wouldn't worry about this one too much 70 owners. Very good detail from the OP but this is the first time I have heard about this problem this side of the pond.

• Like 1

The DE oil gasket issue is far more common so I wouldn't worry about this one too much 70 owners. Very good detail from the OP but this is the first time I have heard about this problem this side of the pond.

ok, but the failure of a rocker cover gasket is of relative minor importance compared to the oilway gasket and its not going to result in your engine self destructing - I'm sure someone will correct me on this!

ok, but the failure of a rocker cover gasket is of relative minor importance compared to the oilway gasket and its not going to result in your engine self destructing - I'm sure someone will correct me on this!

Well it leads to the car eating oil so quite serious if you don't keep on topping it up :)

• 3 weeks later...

In light of this problem it would seem like a good idea to replace the oil temperature gauge with an oil pressure gauge. I guess there are gauges that will fit in the dash housing, or is there something that would prevent you from doing this?

• 2 weeks later...

Am I right in thinking this is something to get fixed as soon as possible even if the oil pressure is fine at the moment? I'm just lining up the gun sights on my first zed and I'm getting the feeling I should be booking her in with Sly when the next pay check rolls in to get those paper gaskets out of an otherwise bombproof engine.

Also I'm quite confused about oil temp vs oil pressure gauges. Maybe it's because this issue is common to the 350Z HR and the 370Z, but from what I've read (eg user manual download) the 350Z HR has an oil pressure gauge in the cluster to the side. So are you discussing the 370 when talking about swapping an oil temp for an oil pressure gauge?

Edit: this is in the 370 section of the forum so yeah, I guess they did swap the pressure for temp when they made the 370.

Edited by HiddenWomble