iPad mini dash install

richmprice

I've just begun a iPad mini 2 dash mount install while I waited for my engine to be delivered.

I found a iPad mount on eBay for £80 with best offer.

I eventually won it for £60.

I have set about cutting my OE cubby and trim. Fibreglass sing and filling. Just at the primer stage now.

I have purchased a Xcarlink to supply the OE radio with the iPad sound but have now found that the unit only supports the USA market.

My plan now is to remove the OE radio with a pioneer Bluetooth head unit and link the iPad through that and hopefully keep the steering controls.

Will post some pictures later.

Not really, I spent a very long time planning the setup, specifically for the Full DA output from the ipad.

The ipad will fit perfectly in the top section of the dash, but I wanted mine lower down to avoid sun glare.

I've also got a wireless hard drive I think it's called a NAS drive, so my iPad wirelessly gathers the tracks and then plays wired via the docking station into a digital in/out to the amp.

I've spent a huge amount of time building the dash only because of where Its located.

Happy to help out with anything you get stuck with.

Just need to add power now to the iPad. I synced it to the Bluetooth today but the sound was so low and full of bass. A quick look on the forum and I found how to swap the rca to the speaker mod and fixed it pretty quick.

Are there any issues charging a iPad mini 2 with 12v?

I would suggest an aftermarket cigarette lighter multiplier plug thing, wire it to the front ciggy lighter and then use a car charger, all hidden behind the panels under the dash

Do you have any examples of a cig lighter multiplier thing???? Please

I really like what you've done with that install.

Buy a plug in cig car charger for an iPad and wire it in to the back of the cig charger in the front of the car. Then just plug a lead in and connect to iPad. I did this with my sat nav charger and it can't be seen .

P

I really like what you've done with that install.

Buy a plug in cig car charger for an iPad and wire it in to the back of the cig charger in the front of the car. Then just plug a lead in and connect to iPad. I did this with my sat nav charger and it can't be seen .

Cool. I was getting confused with the voltages. I heard the iPad mini 2 used different voltages. Obviously not then.

iPads use different amps to iPhones for charging, it's not 12v though. I think it's something like 5v with 2.1a for the iPad

You need something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Belkin-Dual-USB-Car-Charger-USB-Cable-for-iPhone-5-6-6plus-iPad-Mini-B2C-/261957542347?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cfde2e1cb

Edited by ZEUS

• 1 year later...

Hey All,

So I want to install an iPad mini myself as a complete replacement to the BOSE head unit. I want to completely remove a standard car audio head unit.

Is this possible and are there any guides on here to help me with the wiring - or is there a connector/wiring that I can buy off the shelf that can hook up the iPad to the existing 350z wiring loom?

Ps. I do not want to change the existing Bose Amp, and speakers - I just want to add iPad mini/iphone/ipod music connectivity - ideally an iPad mini.

I know I can just buy any bluetooth stereo as a simpler solution to connect iPhone - but I prefer the clean look of an iPad screen.

I did just buy the Grom audio adapter but only just discovered it isn't compatible with the Bose system.

Thanks guys