Oil advice and recommendations here

oilman

Like T8JPE I too have a bit of a heavy foot (mine is the right one though) and my car is due a P1 service next month. Going off Gixxeruk's suggestion I'm going to order 5 litres of the Silkoline Pro S.

I have a 2004 UK Zed and I just want to confirm that the 5w-40 is the best oil for me?

Cheers in advance.

Also about to order some oil for a forthcoming service. In the service packs, there are four 5W-40s: Fuchs Titan Supersyn, Motul 8100 X-Cess, Mobil SYNT S and Castrol Edge TD. Got some questions...

1) How come the Castrol there if it's designed specifically for Turbo Diesels?

2) Is there any difference between all of these or can we just pick a brand we like the look of?

3) You previously recommended heavy footed types to use a 5W-40 for extra protection, but the standard service oils are 5W-40, and the "Upgrade Engine Oils" are both 5W-30. Shouldn't spirited drivers use the upgrades? What am I missing?

4) My car's a 54 plate (278bhp model) coming up to its 54k service. I've got a trackday at Spa in March so it's going to be made to work. What would you recommend, and can I buy it as a service pack?

Thanks for any light you can shed!

• 2 weeks later...

1) Castrol asked us to because it's a 5w-40 and meets ACEA A3/B3 so equally high on Petrol specs as Diesel. It has an unfortunate name, their words not mine!

2) They are all very similar

3) For standard cars 5w-30, 5w-40 is better for heavy footed, track types

4) For the track something better, Motul 300V or Silkolene Pro S we recommend

Sorry for the delay, seemed to miss this one

Cheers

Simon

• 5 months later...
I have a Q! :)

What gearbox and diff oil would you recommend for a 350Z (53 plate if it matters)? Assume the car gets driven hard and I want the best oil available! ;)

Bump on this one :bounce:

Can you recommend a diff oil for me please, Simon? 04 GT, no track use, just normal Z driving which for me is lots of motorway and the occasional blast. In other words, standard diff oil rating for the Z but a good brand :) I've already got Millers going into the gearbox but Millers don't seem to do a diff oil for LSDs.

Oh, and do you do those fancy oil filters with the magnetic bit in the middle?

Cheers

Chris

I have a Q! :)

What gearbox and diff oil would you recommend for a 350Z (53 plate if it matters)? Assume the car gets driven hard and I want the best oil available! ;)

Bump on this one :bounce:

Can you recommend a diff oil for me please, Simon? 04 GT, no track use, just normal Z driving which for me is lots of motorway and the occasional blast. In other words, standard diff oil rating for the Z but a good brand :) I've already got Millers going into the gearbox but Millers don't seem to do a diff oil for LSDs.

Oh, and do you do those fancy oil filters with the magnetic bit in the middle?

Cheers

Chris

Myself and a few others on here have gone with the Amsoil Synthetic SEVERE Gear Oil 75w-90 (SVG):

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1053-amsoil ... 0-svg.aspx

Hope this helps.

Gosh, that's a bit heavy duty isn't it?

It isn't LSD either by the look of it, I thought the Z needed the special friction additive style diff oil?

I don't know what you mean by "a bit heavy duty", but it has to be able to widthstand the shock forces generated in the diff which are much higher than in a gearbox. It's the correct viscosity and is intended for use in LSD applications. You only need an LSD additive if the oil isn't desigined for LSD use and needs to be boosted.

Here's the blurb from the link I attached:

"Recommended for use in differentials, manual transmissions and other gear applications requiring any of the following specifications: API GL-5, MT-1, MIL-PRF-2105E, Dana SHAES 234 (Formerly Eaton PS-037), Mack GO-J, or the differential (hypoid) gear oil specifications from all domestic and foreign manufacturers such as GM, Ford and Daimler Chrysler. Can also be used in axles where an API GL-4 lubricant is recommended."

Gosh, that's a bit heavy duty isn't it?

It isn't LSD either by the look of it, I thought the Z needed the special friction additive style diff oil?

I don't know what you mean by "a bit heavy duty", but it has to be able to widthstand the shock forces generated in the diff which are much higher than in a gearbox. It's the correct viscosity and is intended for use in LSD applications. You only need an LSD additive if the oil isn't desigined for LSD use and needs to be boosted.

Here's the blurb from the link I attached:

"Recommended for use in differentials, manual transmissions and other gear applications requiring any of the following specifications: API GL-5, MT-1, MIL-PRF-2105E, Dana SHAES 234 (Formerly Eaton PS-037), Mack GO-J, or the differential (hypoid) gear oil specifications from all domestic and foreign manufacturers such as GM, Ford and Daimler Chrysler. Can also be used in axles where an API GL-4 lubricant is recommended."

Sorry Matt, I don't mean to be thick, I just can't help it :wacko::lol:

By heavy duty I mean that this oil is call SEVERE (in capitals!) gear oil designed for use in very heavy situations. I read the blurb but the specs mean little to me so is one of those a spec that says it is designed for LSD use.

I've never had an LSD before so it's a bit confusing for me!

Sorry Matt, I don't mean to be thick, I just can't help it :wacko::lol:

By heavy duty I mean that this oil is call SEVERE (in capitals!) gear oil designed for use in very heavy situations. I read the blurb but the specs mean little to me so is one of those a spec that says it is designed for LSD use.

I've never had an LSD before so it's a bit confusing for me!

No worries Chris. ;) This is the stuff the guy from http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/ was recommending to us anyway and he is an official Amsoil dealer.

Here's the thread where he and Opie issued their recommendations:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2973

However, as Amsoil points out, the Motul GEAR 300 is NOT intended for LSD applications. Here's the blurb for it:

"Specially designed for racing vehicle gearboxes : speed way, rallye, raid.

All mechanical transmission, synchronised or not synchronised gearboxes, gearbox/differential, transfer gearboxes and hypoïd differentials without limited slip system operating under shocks, heavy loads and low revolution speed or moderate loads and high revolution speed."

So I went for the Amsoil SVG instead. No problems so far! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Guy, good to see you on this forum too :)

I've still got 3l of Silkoline Pro S (bought from yourself!) kicking around that was a favourite for my CTR, is that still the top choice for the 350z? A general mix of regular, hard and track driving.

Not a clue what oils in the car at the moment, I assume it's ok to mix them?

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi folks,

With winter here and plenty of cold starts, perhaps it's time to consider changing the oil that you use in your car.

Does your antifreeze need changing?

Is your gearshift okay when cold?

Do you need something to protect your car from the weather?

Let us know if you need any advice, we are here to help. You can call us on 01209 202944, email us at sales@opieoils.co.uk, or just ask here.

Cheers

oilman