Cutting up the airbox

Masa

So I've seen a couple of pictures of people with airbox' with chunks cut out of them; is this essentially some people's way of nearly 'Swiss-cheesing' the airbox to get a better intake noise?

I ask because I'm looking for a relatively cheap way to improve the induction sound of my car without sacrificing power.

Would putting a K&N panel filter in the OEM box and drilling holes in it/cutting out a section along the top make it sound better and keep my power figures up? Or am I going to lose power and if so will it be a noticeable drop?

I would get a complete induction system but for the amount they cost and the well known possibility that they actually lose power compared to the OEM box I don't really think it's worth it.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any mods you do to the intake are if anything going to reduce the torque of the car although may get a better sound. Any noticeable performance gains would probably need a remap to gain the full benefit. Mark @ Abbey say best intake option for power is the stock intake not modded with an upgraded panel filter. I have a Stillen on mine mainly as it does sound good and looks better in the bay.

Edited by Mudman

Anything that allows the heated engine bay air into the intake system is going to have a detrimental effect on performance, the std box has a cold air from the outside of the car, and cutting holes in it will ruin the reasonable well designed intake, if you must have the noise, then fit a proper ducted induction kit with the filter enclosed and fed with airflow from =outside the engine bay.

I did it to a spare airbox I had and didn't notice any issues regarding power etc. There was an increase in induction noise, especially about 4k rpm.

I then managed to bag a JWT pop charger (which is considered to make a great noise) and swapped my Swiss cheese airbox for the JWT. It did sound very similar.

Happy to sel you my old airbox to save you cutting your own up. Drop me a PM if you want pics or anymore info :thumbs:

I would imagine pounding along the motorway the cold air rushing into the engine bay negates a lot of the engine heat, I would think though sitting in traffic will have a detrimental effect (although if you are in traffic loads more power makes no difference!)