Air filter

Kharmon

Im currently running k&n drop inns and tps post maf tubes.

Just wondering if anyone has tried running a enclosed conefilters such as the K&n apollo with a cold air feed to them ? I think this would avoid the heatsoak that normal cone filters get and also with the cold air feed tubing it would be drawing in cold fresh air would this be a better result then the stillen G3's ? Since you could runn these from sillicone hoses to also bring the heat soak down Thanks

In all honesty if you are worried about heat soak stick with the standard box with drop in panel filter. Anything else enclosed cone or otherwise is exposed to the engine bay and will be hotter - could be wrong but pretty sure GLRNET on here told me of someone who tired the Apollo and it was crap.. Its pretty common knowledge that induction kits add little if anything to performance, you only add them for noise. Personally, I wouldn't pay the big premium for what is just a cone filter with a plastic cover on it.

Edited by coldel

I've been reading up quite a bit on filter solutions on the U.S. forums recently. General consensus seems to be that the Stillen Gen 3s are the only worthwhile ones in terms of performance but even with those the gains are fairly minimal for the cost. A lot of people regard the drop ins and post MAF silicone tubes solution as the best value alternative to stock.

Can I ask where you got your post MAF tubes and how easy was the install?

I've been reading up quite a bit on filter solutions on the U.S. forums recently. General consensus seems to be that the Stillen Gen 3s are the only worthwhile ones in terms of performance but even with those the gains are fairly minimal for the cost. A lot of people regard the drop ins and post MAF silicone tubes solution as the best value alternative to stock.

Can I ask where you got your post MAF tubes and how easy was the install?

Thanks for the info i'll just stick with what ive got for know then. I orderd the TPS post maf tubes from ebay.com took around 2 weeks to come and had to pay around £30 for the import tax on top of delivery so it wasnt as cheap as i intended.

Installing them wasnt to bad i had to take the strut brace off to force the pipes on with a little fairy liquid but apart from that the fit fine .

I only had the car 2 weeks befor doing these and the drop in filters and tbh i havent noticed any sound or power benefits but dont take my word for it i might just be out of tune with the car ? I just like the look of the red tubes so thats good enough for me haha

• Like 1

Thanks. I was also thinking of the red ones to go with the Nismo engine bay. I already have HKS filters. Like you, I don't expect to notice any difference in performance or sound but it's a nice bit of bling for the engine bay :)

• Like 1

That reminds me, I was supposed to show you guys my cassette mod, where the lids of the cassettes have been cut to let more air in. It's friggin awesome - the noise is epic with the HKS now.

That reminds me, I was supposed to show you guys my cassette mod, where the lids of the cassettes have been cut to let more air in. It's friggin awesome - the noise is epic with the HKS now.

Is this actually better or will it just be sucking in hot engine bay air ? Still intrested to see though

I was waiting for the pics. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Is this actually better or will it just be sucking in hot engine bay air ? Still intrested to see though

This.

Stillen G3s are situated outside of the engine bay so heat soak is reduced.

• 2 weeks later...

I went over this many times when I first got the car. Basically if you want noise/power go Gen 3 Stillen and if you want a bit more power and better filtration go silicone hoses and drop in.

I went for Mishimoto hoses and HKS filters as I didn't have 500 to drop on an CAI.