Please do not post full number plates

M13KYF

I think it is a matter of personal prefference. Im not too bothered about blanking out my number plate in pictures etc, or people posting my number plate..

Others though, do wish to keep it private on an internet forum.

I think the suggestion is to not post the full number plate of a car that does not belong to you, just in case the owner is one of those who would rather err on the side of caution.

As I say its just personal prefference.

Guest prescience

I think the problem occurs when you have the number plate and can also work out from posts who a person actually is. Then you have all the info. you need if you get stopped by the rozz for example.

I think the problem occurs when you have the number plate and can also work out from posts who a person actually is. Then you have all the info. you need if you get stopped by the rozz for example.

And what are you keeping from the rozz then. B)

whist as you all say it is a personal choice but for the life of me I can't understand all the need for hidding stuff away

Most users use a user name so your real name is hidden

Most users hide thier car number in photos so that is hidden

now lets look at when you go to a meeting and there are say three blue 350 there and a first time member goes he will have no chance of knowing who is who and whose car is whose

As club cars get a bit older they are remembered and known by thier reg number

I know I don't own a 350

But hey I am proud to be Steve Burns (username as well) and I am proud of my car and its number plate PAD 500W

I am also proud that photos of it, showing its plate, have been included in a book and national car magazines

Its also nice when someone says oh I remember PAD when it was owned by Mr F or one of its later owners

That is your choice and that is fine but what if you wanted it to be kept private while on the internet. You wouldn't like it if someone else went and posted it up. 2 number plates were posted earlier and they weren't members or users as you put it.

I refer back to what I said earlier.

I just thought that if a number plate is posted it should at least be by the owners permission.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, now I see you do a few things similar to us over in NZ. We have little business cards with all the club contact details etc. Do you guys send flyers/letters to the people that you get registration plates for, and how many of those people join the club????

In the US, since the plate is matched to the car, a stolen number would have to be put on the exact same year, make and model in order to get away with it. If it were on the wrong car, the police would know instantly that it's a stolen plate.

So basically, I don't worry about folks knowing my plates -- they're kind of the "trademark" for my Zs anyway.

Signed by none other than Mr. K! :thumbs:

t-plate-mrk1.jpg

And...

sghost3.jpg

In the US, it's more likely that a stolen high-end car would go straight to a chop shop. You can make more money on the parts than on the entire car.

The VIN would also have to match the plate, so once the cops stop a car, if the VIN doesn't match, you'd be toast. The VIN is on both the registration and insurance card. Car thieves around here wouldn't go to such great lengths to fabricate plates and forge all the documents. Much easier to just chop a stolen car into tiny pieces, and sell the pieces.

So i'm driving down the road and everone and there dog can see my number plate? Yet I should worry that the people on here know my number plate? How does that work then?

Because not everyone and their dog has a 350z and 99% of the pople on here do so it would make more sence for them to steal your nuber plate. even though youd have to be pretty damn sad to do such a thing. :dry:

Its because anyone wanting to clone a car is highly unlikely to want to clone one that exists in their local area, where its easier for the boys in blue to check out the real owner and just pop round for a look see.

They would want to clone one that is a good distance away. Which means unless they drive to a place a long distance away and make a note of a plate that they would require, they would simply get one from the net.

Also, car forums are a great source of info for this, as not only can they get a number plate, reading peoples posts may even reveal name, and location, which using other sites on the net can give car cloners a lot more info than just a number plate.

They could with a bit of research not only gain your car reg, but name, date of birth, address, date you bought the car, and a fair few other trinkets of info that could be useful to put together a credible story and answer many questions that the boys in blue could pose if the car were ever stopped for any reason.

Noting a plate in the street does not give any criminals access to all the other info that a car forum could do...

• 3 years later...