ZeppoJeff's Zed Journey - RB26 swap In Progress

ZeppoJeff

20 minutes ago, andybp said:

"Made some more progress on the boot"  ? what are you talking about you don't seem to have a boot anymore ;)

Nice work though look foreward to seeing the finished article.

:)

Haha I know...best take off the guide of how to install 2 sets of golf clubs. Be lucky to fit my detailing bag in there now let alone anything else :p

• Like 1

Hi buddy.

This is great. Well done.

Not to detract but why the 26 swap for a rather conservative 500hp?

My TT VQ35DE which has been built will take 700hp.

That said I do very much appreciate its all down to personal choice and I embrace individuality.

4 hours ago, TT350 said:

Hi buddy.

This is great. Well done.

Not to detract but why the 26 swap for a rather conservative 500hp?

My TT VQ35DE which has been built will take 700hp.

That said I do very much appreciate its all down to personal choice and I embrace individuality.

Hey man,

No point going anymore really as the car will just become unusable. No chasing figures though. Just gonna build it to the spec I want them see what it does on the dyno.

13 hours ago, ZeppoJeff said:

Hey man,

No point going anymore really as the car will just become unusable. No chasing figures though. Just gonna build it to the spec I want them see what it does on the dyno.

430bhp on mine and I feel the car could easily handle a lot more. Totally stable and controllable. 

But we're all different. :)

I'll keep an eye on your progress! 

Really need to pull my finger out and get this rb swap started so started buying stuff.

Picked up this AWP twin wastegate twinscroll manifold up for the swap

6AA7D9C8-179C-409D-9F3A-96074CC07B0E.jpeg

C92D61DD-A30A-4677-BD5B-FE06C9F49339.jpeg

Hope this gives me the kick up the arse to actually get stuff moving

Edited by ZeppoJeff
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

Well its been almost a year since ive posted on here and all thats happened in the last year was i finished the air and audio install so nothing exciting.

Thought id give this thread a new lease of life as i finally prepare to get the rb26/28 swapped into the zed.

Away to check out a unit when im home after this trip offshore and its going to be all hands on deck getting the engine and everything stripped out and have a nice fresh bay to get started on...this includes the air suspension as its just not my scene

Parts have started to come in from all parts of the world for the build and i can say im excited.

So for now watch this space and the next update will be when i finally start ripping the car apart

• Like 3

On 26/11/2017 at 23:06, ZeppoJeff said:

Totally agree with this! Great choice of engine too, I’ve had the privilege of a few laps at Donington in a fully built R34 and the engine dominated the experience!! 400-450hp for me is the sweet spot where it is more than fast enough for road use, great fun on track while leaving you free from driver aids to keep it all in check which keeps you “the driver” at the center on the fun too! Reliability comes into play over this too, you’ll break things, melt things and in the real world you won’t be going any faster for the downsides.........and you’ll be terrified by something you’re meant to be enjoying!!

Looking forward to following your progress with it

• 4 months later...

Well it’s been sometime since I was last on here. 

Whats changed? Well me and the wife found out we were having a baby so for most people they would just through down the tools and decide that’s the project never going to happen now. Me on the other hand saw it as a challenge to get the car finished before the baby is here...haha

This may be because we had already pulled the engine and sold it on when we found out...doh

So since last update got a big new lockup so it’s been all systems go. Old VQ got taken out and sold to Clark motorsports and now Chris at tarmac own it.

Test fitted the rb26 and it fits...woop woop

Now the engine has been stripped and sent away to the machinist to get some work before the forged rebuild starts.

I know every one loves photos so here’s some to sink your teeth into until the next wee update.

8876A16E-CDA2-40FE-9152-EE557E16E5E9.jpeg

A6466BE2-7360-42F8-B596-8A2D16B3BB5E.jpeg

C613ED9E-FCAF-44BC-8DB6-3893D6465206.jpeg

97DC5A7C-3986-4397-A94B-9054064A44C8.jpeg

77635701-A431-4D23-BE8D-F5164243A302.jpeg

097E961A-33DB-49CE-AB69-1B5872ACC89C.jpeg

833B348B-463D-45A1-B072-B98CED9E6F31.jpeg

B6C8FC7F-8954-4486-923D-CCC82A7076DB.jpeg

B0CFCBF3-EDC6-4E1D-B092-FF8760CCC88B.jpeg

397F427F-D7B4-47A8-BCA8-D0451A467DB9.jpeg

Edited by ZeppoJeff
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, LRF4N said:

Nice. Still not seen this in the flesh. You doing any shows this year?

Nah nothing this year. Just concentrating on getting the car built. Next year though. Aiming to have the car finished for Scottish car show 2020

Edited by ZeppoJeff
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TT350 said:

How difficult are you expecting the rest of the engine swap to be? 

450bhp in a 350Z feels plenty fast enough. I never got bored of that much power when I had my Z.

No idea really. Cross that bridge when I come to it