Trackday booked at the best track in the UK!

... in my opinion ;)

Yes, we've booked Donington Park in the beemer (new and massively improved with new tyres!)

Saturday 18th July, Javelin trackdays - there are a few spaces left so get on board!

If you haven't driven Donington yet, you really, really should! the craner curves are worth the price of admission alone, but the rest of the track is pretty awesome as well. Lets have a bit of a gathering and get a few cars out on track at the same time, we'll take on all challengers in our beemer!

• Like 2

I would love to try Anglesey, problem is its ruddy miles away, whereas Donington is just up the road :lol: and Donny has trees and bits of old bridges to look at as you drive round, always pleasant driving on parkland circuits (same with oulton park and Cadwell Park)

you'll have to be quick, there aren't that many spaces left! hope you can make it, Donny really suits a car like an M3 - decent straights and fast sweeping corners - nothing too twisty that you need a lightweight for.

Plus, it would be great to compare your M3 to our 328i, especially now that we're both running the same tyres :thumbs:

Ah that's true - its changed from 'book early price' to 'spaces' but hasn't gone red yet, so that's a good sign.

how were you getting on with the 595RSRs so far? you must have done a few days on them now?

I've done two days on them now, 255/35/18 square, both dry days and both driven fairly hard I suppose... down to about 50% wear - rotating the wheels front-to-back helps keep the wear even, and mixing-up the clockwise / anti-clockwise tracks helps too (because you can't swap them left / right). I was hoping to have done a lot more but the ligaments in my knee are still a bit fubar after my accident. They provide fair levels of grip and consistency considering the price. They don't like being over-inflated though. I forgot to drop the pressures on my first outing and soon had to come in because they were losing grip... 39PSI after a cool down lap, oops! To manage this I started going out on 20psi cold and coming in at 34psi after a slow cool down lap - much better. I should probably have gone out even lower really - 18psi maybe - but they're really dodgy when the pressures are low and there's no temperature in them... you have to give them a few laps to warm up.

cool that sounds fair - yeah at rockingham we were running them 32psi front, 34psi rear when hot. generally stayed pretty consistent for 5-6 laps (unlike road tyres which fall off a cliff after 5 laps)

we're running some slight stagger (245 front, 255 rear) and if anything we're getting a tiny bit of understeer, so if a bit more toe out at the front doesn't cure it, will try dropping the fronts by a psi or two.

Also we normally start with cold tyres around the 25psi mark, which inevitably go a bit high when they warm up - we then come in and adjust down to our preferred hot values. that way we're never running on cold tyres at really low pressures!

Donnington is good fun. Craner Curves - love them !

Sadly I am away otherwise I would have joined you.

I too have heard excellent reports of Angelsey but not been. Sadly a bit of a trek from me too.

You are in for a great day Andrew !

i thought donington was pretty good for noise, thought it was 98db drive by, which is massive!

strange that donington has noise limits at all really, considering an aeroplane flies over every half hour!

That will depend entirely on the exhaust system on the GTR, mine has ranged from 106db (at Silverstone), I then changed the ypipe and its now at 90db. I know of others that have passed 110db

• 4 weeks later...

Whoop whoop trackday tomorrow! And weather is looking spot on, temps in the high teens, sunny intervals all day and a light breeze. BMW is good to go, new tyres are now nicely scrubbed in. Should be able to carry a lot more speed out of Redgate and down the craner curves and through the old hairpin, and then again through McLeans and Coppice and onto the back straight. Might need to change the front brake pads at lunch but we'll see how we get on - we have the pads and some copperslip just in case we need to make the change.

Lots of cars signed on as is the way with javelin days, but some highlights to watch out for including a McLaren 12c and an Aston Martin DBS, and a couple of radicals.

will try and get some photos and videos as we go, will report back on sunday!

Whoop whoop trackday tomorrow! And weather is looking spot on, temps in the high teens, sunny intervals all day and a light breeze. BMW is good to go, new tyres are now nicely scrubbed in. Should be able to carry a lot more speed out of Redgate and down the craner curves and through the old hairpin, and then again through McLeans and Coppice and onto the back straight. Might need to change the front brake pads at lunch but we'll see how we get on - we have the pads and some copperslip just in case we need to make the change.

Lots of cars signed on as is the way with javelin days, but some highlights to watch out for including a McLaren 12c and an Aston Martin DBS, and a couple of radicals.

will try and get some photos and videos as we go, will report back on sunday!

Maybe see you there ;)

DBS? Interesting, likely to be a mobile chicane more than anything but worth it for the noise alone :wub:

oh yeah im fully expecting our £800 beemer to get round corners a lot faster, but should sound epic going down the straights! that is assuming they actually do any driving... most times I've seen expensive stuff on trackdays, they rock up sometime after lunch, do two or three leisurely sessions then go leave again!