HKS panel filters life

NWZ

Just emailed HKS about replacement life on these, they're recommending 3-5k so I make that every 3000miles or so, This is ridiculous as it makes them an expensive option. Anybody else running them longer?

email from HKS -

Dear,

Thank you for your email. The filters cannot be washed and would need to be replaced.

For peak performance we recommend you replace 3-6 months or 3000 -5000km, but normally they can go longer

And you can maintain with your routine vehicle service. Otherwise check the filter for dirt build up and replace if necessary.

Best regards,

Hmm, maybe more research me thinks....

I used Bilt Hamber Surfex HD a few weeks ago on my one, big improvement.

Spray a bit onto it, a bit of warm water in a bucket, dunked it a couple of times and the dirt came off with a fresh looking filter.

(I've had it on the car for at least 15k !)

I let it dry out in the sunshine all day, and popped it back on the car after 24hrs.

Before:

IMAG0622_zpswerowd0q.jpg

After:

IMAG0624_zpsc7f7wwjy.jpg

• Like 1

email from HKS -

Dear,

Thank you for your email. The filters cannot be washed and would need to be replaced.

For peak performance we recommend you replace 3-6 months or 3000 -5000km, but normally they can go longer

And you can maintain with your routine vehicle service. Otherwise check the filter for dirt build up and replace if necessary.

Best regards,

Hmm, maybe more research me thinks....

I think it's a marketing ploy to get you to spend more money if I'm being honest. The whole reason to buy these is to re-use them

I think it's a marketing ploy to get you to spend more money if I'm being honest. The whole reason to buy these is to re-use them

Completely agree.

Look at my one, if it was falling apart, sure, replace it.

It's just to stop crud getting in.

• Like 1

I had the HKS filters put in when I had an Uprev on my previous 370. I'm now using them in my Nismo. According to Mark at Abbey they should be good 30K+ miles. Mine have probably only done about 8K miles so they're not very dirty and I occasionally pull them out to remove small bits of debris with a brush. Better to judge it yourself by the condition of the filter and if necessary clean them as suggested above.

• 1 year later...