Why do people shake their head?

dannybz

Not sure what you're getting at gm, just trying to increase your post count I guess. :wacko:

What I was getting at is that your post & "like" of Dans post were both basically implying that Danny is doing something wrong in the way he is driving which is why people are shaking their heads at him.

I didn't really think that was fair of you to point that accusation at him especially as you've posted videos of yourself being a bit of a hoon. Not saying I've never done it, ;) ...but still sometimes people will be disapproving of your car or driving & shake their heads even when you're really doing nothing wrong.

And do you really think I need to post boost?, ...come on. :shrug::lol:

What was I accusing him of exactly? You're point is fairly... well, pointless, I think you were looking for some opportunity to be a white knight. All I insinuated was that there is a reason why everyone is shaking their heads, it was neither a disapproval or an approval of his driving. I was pointing to the fact that if you're continually getting negative attention there is a reason for it. The world doesn't hate you because you drive a 5k Nissan, they aren't jealous of something worth less than the change in my back pocket, they just think you're driving like a pr1ck.

If I drive like a bit of a plonker and I get a comment/head shake I don't come on the forum wondering why someone shook their head at me. It's pretty obvious why they're shaking their head at me, they disapprove of what I'm doing.

There are plenty of videos all over this forum of people (Wales for example) driving like prats, that's got nothing to do with trying to highlight to someone that maybe they're the problem.... Has it?

Edited by mouthwash
  • Like 1

What was I accusing him of exactly? You're point is fairly... well, pointless, I think you were looking for some opportunity to be a white knight. All I insinuated was that there is a reason why everyone is shaking their heads, it was neither a disapproval or an approval of his driving. I was pointing to the fact that if you're continually getting negative attention there is a reason for it. The world doesn't hate you because you drive a 5k Nissan, they aren't jealous of something worth less than the change in my back pocket, they just think you're driving like a pr1ck.

...but still sometimes people will be disapproving of your car or driving & shake their heads even when you're really doing nothing wrong.

Ironically I've not yet had any issues in 6 months of Z ownership. Like my keeping up with the joneses audi driving image conscious sister says "It's just a Nissan".

My M3 and many years ago a CTR were the worst for attracting negativity.

Ironically I've not yet had any issues in 6 months of Z ownership. Like my keeping up with the joneses audi driving image conscious sister says "It's just a Nissan".

My M3 and many years ago a CTR were the worst for attracting negativity.

My old Impreza was the worst I'd had for attracting negativity.

I don't think it was jealousy either just the noise the thing made driving along & the associated image of the Scooby driver which brought all the trouble. :thumbdown:

• Like 1

i would say i am better than a lot of other people on the road

Dangerous attitude...

Exactly. I don't think I'm better than a lot of other people on the road, I KNOW I'm better than ALL the other people on the road! :D:lol:

• Like 1

i would say i am better than a lot of other people on the road

Dangerous attitude...

Exactly. I don't think I'm better than a lot of other people on the road, I KNOW I'm better than ALL the other people on the road! :D:lol:

Is this since you got the BMW by any chance? Or was it the Porsche which elevated you to this level? :lol:

The Porsche made me feel better than everyone else, but really it's the BMW that comes with it's own lane on the motorway and that really cemented my place at the top of the car food chain :lol:

All I need is an SUV and I'm pretty much set for life.

• Like 1

Why do people shake their head?

tumblr_m68werTrmB1roerweo1_500.gif

Just like with the head nod, the speed and rhythm of the motion gives us hints about the manner of the listener:

• A fast and rhythmic head shaking definitely says - “no, I disagree, this is not true.â€

• A slow and irregular turning of the head usually signals misunderstanding.
    Something didn't get through quite right.

• Slow and rhythmic head shaking can also signal disbelief. We cannot accept what we just heard.

So far so good, but sometimes the head shake is only barely visible. It can be quick or nonchalant, it doesn't require a “complete†head shaking from side to side , a single turn of the head still can signal “no†- as if the listener got slapped by the words he just heard. I mention this because most people avoid shaking their head like a cartoon character, and often culturally raised with the idea that it's impolite or inappropriate.

/Thread

Stolen from:

http://www.study-body-language.com/head-shaking.html

• Like 1

I am very judgmental on the road. It comes from driving around 3 hours a day on average. If, in my opinion an indicator is put on a fraction of a second too late or early, even if the consequences are negligible, i will still brand the driver a useless %^&*. i will literally judge a driver for anything - this attitide does (not as often) result in praise though. foresight on the motorway gets you a gold star :D but like me they might just be impatient and judgmental :) don't worry about it.

Edited by CrumbMC

Lost count the number of times when you end up following a car that does a max of around 40mph in 50/60 limits and they come to a gentle bend and its often down to less than thirty. Then when they arrive at a 30 zone (village etc) where clearly that limit needs observing even though it might be a straight road and damn me they continue on their 40mph cruise :doh:

So you get to the end of the 30 zone that changes to 60 and catch back up, straight clear road for a easy overtake and well under 60 and what happens...... you get a 'look' and/or flashed lights as much to say "I control the speeds here"!! :bang:

Got that off my chest :lol:

• Like 4

On a sunday morning around 10am a few months back, had just gone round the corner from my house, Im a relatively slow driver anyway but am always especially careful around the 'neighbourhood'. Was probably going 25mph in 4th gear, producing a loud, but low burbling.

There was an elderly couple walking towards me, both started shaking their heads and the women started flagging me down with her hands as if to say slow down :yawn:

I have noticed something similar I haven't had my Z long but my mrs works in our local town centre and I pick her up from the bus station it's not really allowed however I'm not the only one plenty of others also do this and I'm not being in the way or a problem for the bus drivers in any way. Over the last 18 months of doing this in my old car (a corsa) not had a word said to me about it within 5 weeks of owning the Z I have had 3 bus drivers have a go at me for parking there. I don't know what it is. Seems we have a label. 🙈😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Do you have an aftermarket exhaust?

Just wondered as I used to get that a lot when I had my modified Impreza, ...mainly from old people, shaking their head at me thinking I was speeding even though I was doing the 30 mph limit but my car probably just sounded too loud for them so they assumed I was speeding. :dry::shrug:

F**k em'. :lol:

I had exactly this when I had my zed with a K1 on. Going through a village, I was doing about 20mph in a 30mph and some old bloke actually waved his walking stick at me in disgust as if id been doing 100mph.

I guess its more of a noise thing than driving the zed as in actual fact I had this also happen to me last weekend on my Ducati 996 with its open race pipes. Coming thru a village, I was doing 30mph in a 30mph zone. The Audi A3 in front of me was accelerating away from me, so I estimated he was probably speeding at more like 45mph. Whole load of pensioners completely ignored the speeding Audi and stared at me on my bike with daggers. Had I stopped I wouldnt be surprised if they had dragged me off and burnt me at the stake.

I found the comments I got on my zed were mainly very positive. Parking outside a shop to buy a pint of milk, complete stranger comes over and says "nice car mate!". Nipping down local motor factors to buy some oil, come out to find the owner of the place drooling over my car and end up chatting to him for ages about how he`s never seen a roadster one etc.. Driving through my village once, behind a Porsche 911, bunch of kids on side of road completely ignore the Porsche and shout out "Nice car mate!". Even the garage where I had it MOT`d commented on "wow, dont see many of these". When I went to have new tyres fitted it was like being at an F1 pit-stop, they completely ignored all the other cars and swarmed mine so I had 4 fitters, one on each wheel.

I did have a couple of strange ones though. Besides the old pensioner waving his stick at me in a threatening way for daring to do 20mph in a 30mph zone, I did have some old biddy walk across the road directly in front of me, then shook her head at me as if it was my fault. And turning into the road I work in, I had a couple of chavs shout out "w@nker" at me loudly for no reason at all. I put the last one down to jealousy as they looked like they had walked straight off "Benefits Street".

• Like 1