14N HELP!!! Engine bay cleaning

ZeppoJeff

So I'm wanting to try give my engine bay a real good clean seeing as I don't think it has been since it was bought new. There's quite a lot of what seems like white/green muck around the bolts and stuff. Tried a none diluted app to begin with and nothing budged.

What do ppl suggest using for the engine bay?

Haha :lol: Not sure why this thread is addressed to me! I just remove stuff, paint it orange, then refit it. Job done :thumbs:

There are various ways to clean the bay, and there are some very VERY shiny examples on this forum (see above). I removed as much as possible, wrapped all electrical items in cling film, degreased the bay then jet washed it :scare: This was a starting point, then just clean, clean and clean again.

For the gunky stuff around the strut brace feet, use carb cleaner. but be careful with it as it's potent stuff.

I'm sure others will offer words of wisdom, so prepare to make notes (lots of them), but I found YouTube very useful for tips etc.

Payco - When's the big reveal happening?? :shrug: Can'twait to see what you've been up to :snack:

14N. Big reveal should be Bank Hol Monday as I am putting everything back on the car Sat,although my engine cover has had to go back to Ricey for correction so it wont be fully complete until next Weds. It might not be to everyones taste but I think its is going to look mustard (its not yellow).. Yours is fantastic and a credit to you mate. Love what you have done.

Edited by Payco
  • Like 1

Thanks mate, very much appreciated. :thumbs:

Wow! You really have made a swerve in a different direction. Bet it was a difficult decision after all the work (and hours) you put into polishing. Love that colour/shade of blue though. I assume there will still be some shiny bits in your bay, I imagine it's gonna look rather epic when all refitted B)

I spot two different styles of battery/brake fluid cover. You really are a tease Payco. :):ninja:

They are the same, matching. I promise. Thanks mate. As I say it might not be everyones cup of tea but I think I will be pleased. I have also fitted Rickdons under bonnet mirrors which I know you have (your car in the fitting guide) which I think are awesome. Keep up the good bay work. Whats next for you ?.

• Like 1

Whats next for you ?.

A very good question and one I never know the answer to! :lol:

I do keep looking at my car, also popping the bonnet and thinking "Hmmm, what next"? Painting my wheels (or rather the polished lip) was my last flash of creative inspiration, but I'm drawing blanks now - especially with the bay.

I do think bays like yours (v1.0), MopedMark's and Wasso's etc look awesome with everything polished/chromed, especially with the plenum being the main focal point, and I do keep thinking about heading down that route, but I'm sure I'll stay Tango. :teeth:

I'm working away from home at the moment (during the week) and will be for a while, so I don't have the long evenings to do those 'bits and pieces' that you can't help but having a crack at after work before it goes dark. So I think weekends this summer will simply be spent enjoying the Zed :thumbs: (I miss it more than the other half during the week) :lol:

I like the customised bits Mark has made for his. I started modding the whole car on the bay and it led from one thing to another. I know what you mean about thinking what to do next. That's why I made a change after 2 years of the polished look. Don't work too hard. I have sent a copy of this thread to your Mrs !!!...

Edited by Payco