Halfords just screwed my car? (spark plug issue)

Oggieteepo

Okay, so I was just finishing off doing the DIY rocker cover kit, and all was going well, too well clearly.

I screwed the spark plug into cyl.5 and thought everything was fine, I started to attach my coil pack starting and 6 and finishing on 5 but the pack wouldn't go in.

I thought it was just a little tough so pushed it down (not crazy hard) and it budged a little and stopped again.

I looked at the coil pack and all seemed well, checked the spark plug well and all seemed well.. Until I noticed the plug looked a bit fatter. I took the coil pack back off cyl. 3 and looked down and there was a noticeable difference.

I re-checked 5, then went to get the spark plug tool to remove it, and then it dawned on me, it's the rubber "gripper" from inside the spark plug tool and it's now stuck around the spark plug.

Called halfords and complained they said take it out, I said I couldn't they said call the AA. I disagreed they told me to take photos which I have done as I was saying that if this cost me a rebuild it's coming their way.

Any ideas on how I can get it out?

I wasn't too worried about an hour ago but now starting to panic a bit.

Or use the same spark plug socket into the same plug and usually it just picks it up. I had the same thing with the halford one and eventually got tired and bought a profresional one.

No need to panic👀

• Like 1

because its their shoddy tool that's stuck at the bottom of my spark plug well and not letting me drive my car? :)

I don't have any long pliers to reach that far, would you be referring to something like this, would that have the clearance in the narrow gap?

I tried to use the tool, but the rubber part is now stopping the plug from getting all the way down over the actual hex part...

edit: anyway after returning to my flat and being able to use the internet properly I am less worried, just more annoyed as I wanted to have this sorted today.

bit of a panic post probably :)

Edited by Oggieteepo

Stop being a girl😜

Grow a pair :surrender:

Just abandon the car where it is, buy a new one and send the bill to Halfords. I'm sure they'll just pay up, their tool has clearly caused irreparable damage to that one after all.

:lol:

Such sympathy. :lol:

As said don't panic it will come out, just persist with it.

Seriously though, you actually expected Halfords to sort this out for you :wacko: . :lol:

Just abandon the car where it is, buy a new one and send the bill to Halfords. I'm sure they'll just pay up, their tool has clearly caused irreparable damage to that one after all.

:lol:

OK get yourself a brazing or welding rod/or similar piece of metal that is more than long enough, bend one end into a close U shape, and if necessary sharpen the end, poke it down the plug orifice and snag the underside of the rubber and pull....this should get it out after a few tries.

Oh! and a tip for stopping the said rubber bit from coming out again...get some impact adhesive, or silicone and glue the bugger in. ;)

Edited by Tricky-Ricky
  • Like 1

Am I missing something, why can't you take the plug back out, remove the rubber and then put the plug back in?

You are missing something...

On serious note though it does look like the rubber has gone over the hex part of the plug.

;)

I'd say try Rickys idea Oggie. I'd also slightly sharpen the end of the brazing/welding rod to try & get it to dig into the rubber better.

Oh & if you haven't got any brazing/welding rods then maybe look in the kitchen to see if you've any bbq skewers that you could use instead. :thumbs:

Metal+Skewrs.jpg

Shall I change the title to, "I may have over reacted a bit, my car isn't screwed but i cant' use it at the moment as the rubber insert of my Halfords plug socket has come out as plug socket inserts do sometimes"?

• Like 8

Shall I change the title to, "I may have over reacted a bit, my car isn't screwed but i cant' use it at the moment as the rubber insert of my Halfords plug socket has come out as plug socket inserts do sometimes"?

Do it! :lol:

lol...

Maybe my message reads like I am crying in a hedge somewhere or something or totally retarded when it comes to engines which neither are technically true depending on what makes you qualify for "non-retardedness".

When I say panic, this guess this was intended more as frustration, I supposed I forgot how it would read, the plugs are only 20k old so I didn't really need to change them but felt I should as I was there and had some handy but that has now taken as long as taking and putting the rocker covers back on which probably why i'm miffed.

I am sure it will come out, and I was using a metal rod to try and hook it out but it kept bending the hook and it eventually snapped, I hadn't thought of using a welding rod or even the skewer so I will give that a go tomorrow as they are likely to be a little stronger, thanks for that.. which was my reason ultimately for coming on here.

I do find the comments amusing though and feel as if this thread has got a little crazy - must have been the sun today. changing the title would be funny too, and I wouldn't mind as ultimately I have the suggestions that I came here for.

keep-calm-and-stop-crying-29.png

;)

Edited by Oggieteepo
  • Like 5