Mobile engine carbon clean service?

Joeycuz

Just came across a website that offers a engine cleaning service which removes built up carbon in the engine. They say it helps to restore horsepower, smoother performance and makes your car more responsive. Has anyone ever had this done to their Zed? Seems like a simple procedure and relatively cheap for the benefits. (£99)

Here's the link to the site I looked at

http://www.enginecarbonclean.com/index.php

Just wondering if it's worth trying it out and if any members have tried it and their views.

Cheers

I've heard a few people having had a similar service to this done e.g. terraclean etc

Some have said how they've experienced issues afterwords from basically the dirt/grime etc actually filling up areas on worn parts being removed.

Heard good mpg improements on disels though.

• Like 1

+1000 with you Spa1

Both this method or Terra-clean have a scientific basis behind their product but tbh I don't think the effect is very significant than using high octane fuel and keeping the car runing and tuned efficiently and most of all driving it well often.

I try and always use shell V power fuel, if I have to il use Momentum99. I drive the car every weekend and occasional evenings if I'm home. I can't resist the sound so I tend to give the zed a "good run" anyway.

I haven't got any problems with the car what so ever. I just thought this service may help, which they claim to gain back lost ponies.

Its only a marketing thing, engines with a bit of mileage will often give more power anyway-run much more freely because of the wear.Any engine thats only used around town will generally be a little reluctant to deliver the "goodies" but some decent fuel and a motorway will usually sort it.

• 5 months later...

Just came across a website that offers a engine cleaning service which removes built up carbon in the engine. They say it helps to restore horsepower, smoother performance and makes your car more responsive. Has anyone ever had this done to their Zed? Seems like a simple procedure and relatively cheap for the benefits. (£99)

Here's the link to the site I looked at

http://www.enginecar...n.com/index.php

Just wondering if it's worth trying it out and if any members have tried it and their views.

Cheers

Any more feedback on this one? I did try a terraclean on my old Celica GT4 and it did make a small but measurable difference. We have a very coked up VAG1.4TDi at home and I was looking at this service - Terraclean is really expensive if you want want both the intake and and fuel system treatment. Whereas the above is £99

• 11 months later...

I've stripped more engines than you can shake a stick at, and I can tell you that nothing that you can put in your working engine will effectively remove that carbon.

On a stripped engine, sure, you can use all sorts of chemicals to easily remove it.

Don't waste your money. The only effective way to remove carbon, is to get the heads off.

• Like 1

I've stripped more engines than you can shake a stick at, and I can tell you that nothing that you can put in your working engine will effectively remove that carbon.

On a stripped engine, sure, you can use all sorts of chemicals to easily remove it.

Don't waste your money. The only effective way to remove carbon, is to get the heads off.

I kind of want to agree but what do you reckon about the wheeler dealer results?

Terraclean slipped Brewer a monkey and fudged results?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I kind of want to agree but what do you reckon about the wheeler dealer results?

Plugging a service, it's not unheard of.

I'd want to test it myself with an endoscope before/after, but I'm highly skeptical it could do a thorough job, I imagine they use a perc chemical to attack the carbon. But in aerosl form, it's just not going to be that effective or it would be a chemical in standard use by garages everywhere.

It cleaned the injectors and cats most likely, which shouldn't be overlooked as if the spray pattern of the injectors is poor then emissions and efficiency can be affected, as said it wont remove the carbon but then a little carbon isnt a bad thing

• Like 1

Before remapping my Zed, it got decatted, a full service and a terraclean done. I wanted Dynatune to have a good clean car to work with. Can't say whether or not it helped actually clean out the engine but it definately felt smoother when driving through to Chris to get the uprev done. For a £100 it's a no brainer for cars getting on in years and miles.

Coming from a BMW 335i, a car which needs this doing every two years if ragged, it's interesting to see these reactions. On the N54 twin turbo, coke builds up around the valvetrain like nobody's business. I'm not htat technical, but I gather its a side effect of direct injection and the turbos, basically, the valvetrain doesn't get 'washed' by fuel.

This is something every 335i comes across at some point, and a service is offered by some BMW garages, and some independents called a 'walnut blast'. Basically, a bunch of walnut shells are blasted into the valve inlets, cleaning the valve system. Doing this when needed does restore several missing horses and increases efficiency.It's not an 'easy' job to do, but it is a DIY for someone with the right tools and the walnut shells and blasting kit can be bought from harbor freight in the US.

So the process itself is extremely valuable, I'd venture to say 'for specific cars'. Being a new Zer, I have no idea whether this is one of those cars yet, I just thought I'd throw it out there as this discussion reminded me heavily of my days on e90post. Obviously its not quite the same thing, as it requires 'some' disassembly to do, it's not just magic liquid in your intake or whatever.

Edited by Aashenfox

Vehicles with LPG conversions, the heads once removed look brand new.

Back in the days with my 1.3l carb Peugeot 309 *105k on the clock, i stuck the fuel feed to the engine post filter directly into a can of the below ran the the engine and it smoked the whole road out. I was a bit scared as once the can had empty'd i could turn the engine off, had to stall it lol

Bought another can and did the same thing the following weekend to show off to my little brother and it puff'd out a few clouds of smoke and that was it - so for me that stuff worked.

https://www.amazon.c...t/dp/B0035PSQ30

Edited by davey_83

Vehicles with LPG conversions, the heads once removed look brand new.

Back in the days with my 1.3l carb Peugeot 309 *105k on the clock, i stuck the fuel feed to the engine post filter directly into a can of the below ran the the engine and it smoked the whole road out. I was a bit scared as once the can had empty'd i could turn the engine off, had to stall it lol

Bought another can and did the same thing the following weekend to show off to my little brother and it puff'd out a few clouds of smoke and that was it - so for me that stuff worked.

https://www.amazon.c...t/dp/B0035PSQ30

That stuff does look tempting to be honest, don't suppose it would harm to try it...Would it?