pros and cons of removing aircon?

Garyt350z

As title suggests, am needing to buy a new air con radiator and also get it gassed, but now am thinking, why should I not go in the opposite direction, saving both weight and drain on the engine. Any experts or similar scenarios shed any light on this? :)

Lol a good few points made Here, and my only counter point to that is, when I finished with he she will be under a cover in my garage. So resale isn't an issue. Cleaning steamy windows however is cause for some reason my rear window demister isn't working anymore and AC worked a treat last winter cause I was unable to find the fault

It cannot ever add bhp.

Go and put 15 bags of sugar in the car and see if you can tell the difference. If you can then great, strip it out! If not, then don't bother.

Exactly, if it was a micra then you would maybe notice it but on a lardy, lazy V6 Zed not a bloody chance!

• Like 1

One less thing for the engine to turn. The air con pump will cause drag even when not on, so you may gain back 0.5bhp from the drive train losses??? :blush:

I only say this as I broke my air con pipe ages ago and keep toying with the idea of removing the unit and all the guff rather than buy a new pipe :lol:

I took out my air con 2yrs ago before going supercharged since the condenser was busted and though I've not really missed it because I hardly used it except on the track were it gets hot sometimes, I really did not feel any "gains" from freeing up parasitic loses from the powertrain.

However I think my cooling system is more efficient because of having one less rad in the way but it could also be because I have a 30% bigger rad, higher performance coolant and water wetter, extra 1l oil capacity and oil cooler.

Like others have said for a DD keep your AC. Unless 3-5hp is so important to you.

Judging by the above, having a "broken" condenser seems to be a common fault on the Z! Has your aircon actually stopped working? One year Nissan offered me a free aircon refill with the service so I obviously took it... oddly the next year there was UV fluid all over and the pipes had split, apparently... and my aircon is still working fine 3 years later with no further refills. One of the reasons I gave up on FNSH and started using an indie.

Edited by HaydnH
  • Like 1