Hmm... Cat C, Should I Buy?

ddcboyle

Hey guys, been a while since i popped on the forum, but decided this would be the best place to ask :)

After selling zed, went away and bought a 1.9cdti sri astra, not as fun as i thought, so looking at Focus ST now.

Tempted by this new style ST3, due to the price, however, i know nothing about buying a catc, catd car.

Any info/advice, worth buying, stay well clear etc.

I have always thought "never buy cat c or cat d car, their broken, they will break again", but just looking for some info/experiences

Car in question

http://www.autotrade.../cars?logcode=p

Check with your insurance company some don't like them and put the price up some insist on an engineers report so worth checking.

Resale will be lower and less potential buyers (some people won't touch them) but you pay less when you buy.

Other than that make sure you check it over even more than you would any car you buy and maybe get an AA type inspection done.

Other than that I have owned a few Cat C And Cat D's - never had any more or less problems than non Cat cars - Good Luck :thumbs:

Resale will be lower or could be worse as in problematic and have to give it away for peanuts so make sure you don`t pay over the odds then it balances out.

Be careful to check its been repaired properly otherwise it could go down hill very fast. By that i mean

Motors that rust are usually ones that have been repaired and not done well so be careful

Just trying to make you aware so you go into it with your eyes open and not just attracted but the price. Lets be honest, there`s no other reason to do it.

Find out if you can what the write off was for - there is a lot of confusion around cat d vs cat c write offs, the only difference is the value of the damage, cat d can have chasis damage as bad as a cat c just depends on whats happened. It could be that the car was vandalised and every panel keyed and tyres and wheels damaged or it could have been driven into a tree. If you are going to go cat c then take a few experienced heads along and go over the car with a fine tooth comb looking for any strucutral damage and if you can get pictures of the damage and repairs.

CAT D usually means cosmetic damage but can have chassis damage, not often though or at least in my experience. CAT C usually implies chassis damage more than not. My Zed is a CAT D and it only needed a new bumper, light, and wing. That was it. No chassis damage. if it had I wouldn't have bought it. There car is just fine. Never had a problem.

Edited by Rock_Steady

Cat C is that the cost to repair the damage is more expensive than the value of the car, Cat D is that its less but the insurance company may make the decision to declare it a write off - its nothing to do with the type of damage purely cost of repair vs value of car. Plenty of Cat C VX220s out there simply because new panels are horrifically expensive and a simple scrape along a wall whilst parking badly at 5mph can Cat C the car. It really depends on the value of the car and the cost of the parts to replace.