What Game are you currently playing ?

Suits

Just picked up Elite Dangerous again after a year long break.

It's so amazing. Now that they've made it even better, it has taken over from GTA5 for me, as my favourite game of all time. I really feel like there's another universe where I exist, with my super cool spaceships (yes, that's plural, I have several :D) and am a serious force to be reckoned with.

At the moment I am a glorified space taxi, I have outfitted a dolphin passenger ship pretty much as far as it will go and I ferry VIPs (and criminal masterminds and pirate lords occasionally, if the pay is good enough, cos the Police are as much a pain in your arse in Elite, as they are in reality, sorry Zee, no offence mate, lol) around Federation (one of three major factions) space, for extortionate amounts of credits, while I search for a station in a federation system that has Type 4 Class A thrusters in stock (rocking horse poo), while simultaneously helping my arbitrarily chosen Federation aligned sub-faction in my arbitrarily designated 'home' system of Deciat, to expand, so that I can stack even more taxi and data courier missions and make EVEN MORE credits.

Making money legally is hard in Elite, lots of time and flying to make very little, making it illegally is faster, but much, much harder and the penalty for being caught doing naughty things is harsh (massive reputation hits and fines, if not instadeath by a station's defences), but there are ways to be quick and quiet. ;)

It;s not for everyone. There's ZERO guidance, so the learning curve is steeper than a steep thing trying to be steep, but once you get the hang of flying (there's no autopilot of any kind, for anything) and understand the 'background' simulation, it's very very absorbing watching the effects of your actions and those of other players, play out. There's also no goal, except those you set yourself, survival isn't a bad one at the start! :lol:

It is MMO, you can fly with your friends, but it is risky, there are always players who just want to kill other players, and are usually well equipped to do so, so until you learn how to escpae people like that 'open play' can be a bit frustrating, but fortunately, you can play in the exact same perisistent universe in solo mode, with no other players to **** you off, just you and a simulated galaxy the size of our own (it really is the same size as our real galaxy, the sense of scale is incredible, it would take the fastest ship over 3 real life months (in unbroken playtime) to cross the galaxy). There are some people that have been in space without docking for over a year (explorers, they choose a direction and just start heading out of known space, scanning every system they stop in, when they get back, the scan data they collected will be worth BILLIONS). I don't think I could do this and enjoy it, but hey, it's a way to play and some people love it. Since the galaxy is the same size as a real one, even if Elite is played for the next 20 years by a million players, it will never be fully explored, which always provides that sense of wonder when you are the first to go somewhere (the game will tell you and record it forever that you discovered this system and any of it's stars and planets that you scanned).

As in reality, every star and system (of the countless billions) is different. Some systems are binary stars, some are black holes, some are super dangerous neutron stars.

It's a labour of love, the development of this game is going on 15 years now, and anyone who likes space games in any way shape or form should be playing and supporting it. It's truly a 'spiritual' experience with plenty of lasers, space pirates, machiavellian politics and trading monopolies.

Good luck commanders, and push the envelope through the mailbox! (if and when you start playing, you'll soon understand that reference :lol: )

Edited by Aashenfox

@mrFox I have Elite on Xbox and must get back to it, I know exactly what you mean by steep learning curve as I really struggled with the initial 'training' missions and will have to go back to them. It doesn't help with just a controller, I remember playing the original elite and knowing all the commands on the keyboard really helped.

Oh and next time I firebit up I won't have a beer first :lol:

When I put it down a year ago, I had spent everything I had on a fully decked out vulture (about 25 million credits iirc), major killing machine, but combat is tough, low reward and high risk, so apart from when the occasional assassination mission pops up (joy! A chance to use my vulture), it is currently shelved, it is also still missing stated Type 4 Class A thrusters. Grrrr. Love that ship.

Since picking it back up again, I bought the Dolphin (passenger missions are great, they play out very organically) and now I'm making money hand over fist. I'll soon have a Federal Dropship (it's the equivalent of a challenger tank in space) and strike fear into the hearts of the evil slave-trading Empire! EAT LASER, IMPERIAL DOGS!

Then an explorer, a space ninja for moving illicit cargo around with a crazy low heat signature, probably going to use a Diamondback Explorer for that. Then just for the F of it, I'll build a trading ship. Something huge. That should give me the ability to accept all the best missions and earn the money and reputation for my Federal Corvette, huge semi capital ship, and then I'll have a personal armada and it'll be time to take some revenge on some sub-factoins that have annoyed me in the past, as well as undermine those imperial dogs wherever I find them. ;)

Edited by Aashenfox

I've said it elsewhere on this thread, but I really didn't enjoy the new one despite adoring the previous one. Too rushed, you lose 90% of the opportunities if you don't just dive in. No time to relax and suss things out.

Got one on order. Completely pointless as I have all the games anyway on either emulator or proper SNES, but it'll look cool next to my mini NES.

Where have you preordered from?

I agree yes you could get emulators etc but they aren't the same 'experience'

I'm looking forward to Friday and firing up Crash Bandicoot the remastered trilogy

Legend!!! Forgot about that, just ordered her.

Also, bought Witcher 3 a few weeks back. It's alright. Really don't find it very immersive at all. Just filled with NPCs that are very wooden and respond with the same phrases in every village. Getting a bit tired of needing to do 20 quests to finish what starts off as a simple quest. Combat is very boring.

Welcome to 11:46am this morning, ten posts above you :lol:

Oh, @*!#. But come on, you can't expect people to backtrack in a 150 page thread (even if it is on the same page, lol). It happens. :)

Edited by Aashenfox