What Game are you currently playing ?

Suits

Apples and oranges. No IPS panel exists with the features I want (speed). To be honest, if you don't know why you want a TN, you don't need one. ;) Suffice it to say, serious gamers who first try it, can't understand why nobody told them before what a difference it makes, and NOBODY ever goes back.

You're not the first person to bang on about how good 144 is to me this week, really think I might have to invest. Want to do the BMW brakes first though.

So in theory, or practice, what would you consider 'better'? Running 1080p/60 on full Ultra, or running 1440p/144 but having to drop graphics options down to get the frame rate? For me I've never bought into the 4K trap and frame rate is far more important, but at the same time i don't want to run on Medium just to get that frame rate IYSWIM.

Man maths ftw :D

I'm looking at 144mhz monitors for my PC. With the 1080, I've now officially switched to PCMR. Until the Xbox One Xtreme is released at E3 with Forza 7 in 4K and a VR headset to match, of course...

If you have a 1080 and do not have a 144hz or over screen then you are wasting its potential. There is a meme that circulates about 144hz screens but whenever I see someone play games on a 60hz screen it makes me want to vomit.

I don't think I am, right now I can't even run 1080/60 in Ultra on GRW (but then Ubisoft don't optimise very well, and BF1 was very pretty even on a 980).

I've never seen a 144 so no idea what it even looks like.

Haha! This is the thing! You won't have to drop the graphics down. ;) If you can run 1440p at 60fps plus, it's worth it. Hell is even worth it if you have a crappy card. You have a 1080 gtx, you should definitely be running 1440p, you'll get 140fps out of doom on ultra.

Yeah but what do you expect from a Ubisoft game. also what's the rest of your rig?

In basic terms, everything is smoother from input to viewing. On a 60hz screen when going round a corner you sometimes get tearing/jagged lines on walls, upgrade to a 144hz and that's all gone.

Now that 1080s have become cheaper get a second one. :)

For any pc gamers who are struggling with the concept, here's the thing... We all know that if you have a regular screen you can't see more than 60fps, right? Good. So you enable vsync to get the smoothest experience possible, but, if you are a pro or talented tournament gamer, you know vsync is the devil, due to input lag. So, we buy TN panels primarily to be able to turn off vsync (it's no longer needed to reduce jaggies at that speed), and also gain the advantage of seeing the frames over 60fps as well as any arbitrary number between 15 and 30,and 30 and 60,which again you wouldn't see with an IPS and vsync on. The effect is like a 30% performance increase instantly, no matter what card you have. You gain smoothness and lose input lag. The trade off is viewing angles (my pc isn't a cinema, so who cares) and colour fidelity (is a shame but it's liveable).

Edited by Aashenfox

2x SSD (OS and common progs), then 2x SATA 7200 for storing everything else.

RAM is 12800 or 1600, seen both numbers and now since DDR came in I get confused on speeds. Nothing special though, timings of 11-11-11 etc.

i7 Haswell 4790, Asus Z97-E, 32GB DDR 1600, 1080gtx running just above stock clock speeds.

Am now mobo limited.

We have very similar setups :) Been a great gaming setup for two years now, 4790k still kicking ass and taking names. I sometimes run mine at 5ghz for shits n giggles (corsair H80 dual), I was really lucky, got a really strong one.

http://www.gamespot....w/1900-6416620/

Added to wishlist, thanks Will, that flew right under my radar, I hear modding a Zed will do that to you!

No, you cannot hack and ride your own giant robotic T-Rex

Huge missed opportunity. :(:lol:

Ok after playing this for most of today I have to say this is one of the best games I have ever ever played. The story is engrossing, the graphics amazing, combat is spot on. It's epic and I'm hooked

Anyone have any recommendations for a 2 player game both local and online for the xbox one. Pretty much worn out Fifa and Infinity Warfare now, looking for something open world style or shooting. Most of the good ones seem to be online multiplayer only. Lucky enough the other half is alright we still have lads night with pizza and xbox haha

Borderlands 2 is my most played 'action' game of all time to date (I say 'action' because 800 hours is nothing compared to how much I played WoW and Championship Manager), I have logged 800 hours primarily farming for legendary weapons and doing boss speed runs in PT2.5 (if anyone's curious, the difficulty model of BL2 goes like this: You play through once, reaching about level 30 on standard difficulty, which for decent gamers is effectively easy mode. Then the next time you start a new game, you still have all your equipment, levels, stats and abilities from where you finished the previous game, but the enemies have gone up several levels. When you finish THAT playthrough, you will have reached level cap and PT2 will no longer be a challenge. The game checks if you have reached level cap and finished playthrough 2, then gives you PT2.5, which is basically legendary mode).

Edited by Aashenfox
  • Like 1