Y pipe replacement

J4CKO

7 hours ago, calumrobertmacdonald said:

I know this is a really old posting but i am in the exact same predicament and looking at the Ebay specials to get a blowing exhaust through it's MOT.

Can you advise if you ever had any issues getting your car through it's MOT with these y-pieces with the dreaded emissions?

Thanks in advance!

The y pipe wont have any effect on the exhaust emissions as its basically a straight through pipe. :thumbs:

11 hours ago, SHEZZA said:

The y pipe wont have any effect on the exhaust emissions as its basically a straight through pipe. :thumbs:

Great! I did think after I posted it was a bit of a daft question! 

I've also just realised that its studs from the cats rather than bolts........ How did everyone get on getting the nuts off? My car is now 15yrs old and looks as if the Y piece has been soaking in salt water for the duration........ May have to be a cut and drill job and then replace with a set of nuts and bolts but i was curious on how others got on? 

Cheers.

Tip would be to soak the nuts in WD40 the following day get the exhaust nice and hot, safely jack up and support with axle stands - crack the nuts while the exhaust is hot using a six sided socket *think 14mm. Later once the exhaust has cooled down begin the removal and refit of the new pipe.

1 hour ago, davey_83 said:

Tip would be to soak the nuts in WD40 the following day get the exhaust nice and hot, safely jack up and support with axle stands - crack the nuts while the exhaust is hot using a six sided socket *think 14mm. Later once the exhaust has cooled down begin the removal and refit of the new pipe.

Awesome thanks for the tip! I shall definitely give it a bash!

Have this to do soon when I get around to it. Have a Cobra Y-pipe waiting to go on but am waiting on a couple of bolts. 

I'll let you know how I get on if I do it first. Worst case scenario I own a grinder and a laser ball joint tool. (I've used this before to push out wheel studs)

Good luck if your attempting it yourself! 

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted my Y-Pipe today. I remembered this thread as I was doing it.

A friend of mine works at a WV dealership and let me come in to use the ramps this afternoon. (No crawling on the floor). The bolts came off easily after wire brushing the crud off and a blast with oil. Only hand tools were needed.

The cat bolts that came with the Cobra fitting kit were too small.... But that was the only hitch. Good luck if you haven't had a go at yours yet!

IMG_20190727_142148.jpg

IMG_20190727_135222.jpg