Y pipe replacement

J4CKO

I replaced the back/mid pipe of my 350 with the Cobra sports exhaust but I seem to have a blow which I think it the Y pipe so going to order one, dont want to spend £300 and I see some on Ebay for for £120 - £150 which I think is about as much as I am willing to pay, are they ok and will they hook up to my Cobra ?

Do the Y pipes leak at the flexi, suppose I need to get under it and have a look round when its running but the weather is too grim.

Oh, also, are the bolts on the cats fixed to the cats or free, the Y pipe to mid pipe ones were and I had to drill them out which was a colossal pain in the arse, its only six bolts to change the Y pipe but I bet it wont give up without a fight, am hoping the cat bolts arent captive, the ones to the mid pipe should be ok as only been on 18 months.

Edited by J4CKO

As your fully aware things are cheap for a reason. I don't know what the quality is like but surely the more expensive parts will be of a better standard and will probably fit without issue. Up to you I guess

I just dont want to spend £300/400 on a bit for underneath the car, not been planning on modding this one too much as plan to have a change next year (370Z maybe) so dont want it standing me at a vast amount, I spent £425 on he Cobra so with one at £150 ish I will have spend almost £600 on a car exhaust which seems like plenty to me ! not expecting any more power as not doing an uprev, the standard one has lasted 8 years and the aftermarket ones should be at least as good as are Stainless Steel.

As long as it fits ok, the welds are ok I cant really see the point of spending more.

The ones you have seen on eBay will be Japspeed/ Toyosports , I've got one fitted to mine without any problems. :)

How long have you had one of these fitted? Very close to buying ones since I broke my flexi yesterday removing my decats

I think it's got to be about 18 months now. I've had the Toyosports mid pipe and back box fitted for over 3 years with no problems. It's just luck of the draw with Japspeed/Toyosports I reckon!

I bought one from Tarmac Sportz last week and I'm having it fitted tomorrow. I was going to purchase the Stillen but I opted for the cheaper one as they said they had it in stock ready to go. Il let you know how I get on with the fitting and if I found any issues. Great price and obviously got warranty. Not sure if eBay is the same?

I'd say don't get one from Japspeed/Toyo, seriously pot luck on their QC. I recently got one to replace what turned out to be the exact same japspeed that was on the car, which has very worn but not blowing flexis.

Took old one off, could see was japspeed and identical design or so I thought. The flange that joins the mid section on the new one was on such a **** that the mid section rested on the W brace... off it came and old one back on for now. Will be getting a stillen from Torquen when the times right, £250 can't go wrong and you know it will fit.

Just my 2c as took a month of complaints via eBay to get my money back. The seller admitted poor build then tried to get me to return at my cost! Not a chance, had to escalate to eBay who actually decided in my favour for once. Got a full refund, and now seller is trying to bribe me to remove negative feedback :rofl:

Bit of a rant, but don't want others going through the same

• Like 1

My Toyosports £20 EBay jobbie has been on a while now. It's gone a bit tarnished compared to the rest of the stainless system (Top Gear Bridport) but that only detracts from the look of it, seems to be holding up ok no leaks, but does show that it's deffo a lower grade of steel used! :) Like I said at the time, 'at that price it can last a year and I'd be happy :lol: ' that said it does aid the decent sound too :teeth:

Edit: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-350Z-Z33-3-5L-S-STEEL-EXHAUST-Y-PIPE-DOWNPIPE-7937B-/110814072134?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19cd088d46

Added the link to same item, they appear to have stopped the 99p start auctions now sadly. Must also say it was a perfect fit supplied with nuts bolts and gaskets :)

Edited by Floydbax

Had a look and its definitely knackered, used the organic ramps (convenient tree root) outside the house to get it in the air without messing with stands and stuff.

My worry is getting the bolts out from the cats, anyone had this battle and how did they win it, I had to do the ones on the Y pie to mid section and it involved a cutting disk in a grinder and then drilling the remainder out which killed a couple of drills, are there any better techniques ?

Even less want to spend any money on it as some kind soul knocked the mirror off my wifes car last night and peed off, £130 for that, I hope they meet with an unfortunate case of screaming Dutch **** (or fanny) rot.

Edited by J4CKO

You're right those nuts can be tw@s :lol: Plenty of penetration fluid for a few days before you start. I also used a thing called 'Freeze your nuts off' 'tho can't say if it made a difference! I ended up having to hammer a size too small socket onto 3 of mine. You have to really give it some welly and get it all the way on (you then can get the nut out of it with a screwdriver and hammer - I used a vice on my bench) then on one I used a massive long piece of scaffolding over my breaker bar, the others I lifted the car as high as possible, then wedged the breaker bar onto the socket and between that and some bricks, then lowered the car on the jack and let the weight of the car break the nut off. Once you have just broken that initial crack then they come off OK. It's a right annoying old job but you just have to keep your patience, they will come off eventually :)

Cheers, might drop it in to a garage, notice you are in Knutsford Floyd, will keep an eye open, I work in Knutsford, I have a Grey Convertible.

Grey 'vert, me too :) I see loads of Zeds round here but no-one's friendly LoL. I'm always around the area in the mid-afternoons, I'm on the main A50 thru so I'm sure you'll notice me :lol:

My Toyosports £20 EBay jobbie has been on a while now. It's gone a bit tarnished compared to the rest of the stainless system (Top Gear Bridport) but that only detracts from the look of it, seems to be holding up ok no leaks, but does show that it's deffo a lower grade of steel used! :) Like I said at the time, 'at that price it can last a year and I'd be happy :lol: ' that said it does aid the decent sound too :teeth:

Edit: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-350Z-Z33-3-5L-S-STEEL-EXHAUST-Y-PIPE-DOWNPIPE-7937B-/110814072134?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19cd088d46

Added the link to same item, they appear to have stopped the 99p start auctions now sadly. Must also say it was a perfect fit supplied with nuts bolts and gaskets :)

£20? After the tax and eBay fees they would of made a loss. They are mostly going for £100

Edit: http://www.ebay.co.u...=item19cd088d46

£20? After the tax and eBay fees they would of made a loss. They are mostly going for £100

Well not really, if the general consensus is right and they are made in the Far East and they brought in thousands of them. You can get things mighty cheaply out there! By the way they were sticking one every week at a 99p start for several years they obviously had a shed load of them. They do appear to be going for a lot more recently, when I got mine the average was around £60, I obviously just landed one in a week when no one else wanted one :lol: Still though, £100 isn't that much these days in the scale of things and they're not actually BAD, not good but not BAD. I expect it wont last all that long and when it does go I'm going to ask JP exhausts in Macclesfield to make one similar for me as I'm very happy and pleased with the design, sound, weight and flow dynamics. :)

I bought a Toyo sports one. Quality looked fine, that only flaw in the plan was that it was 5cm too short ! I fixed it with the addition of spacers in the form of extra flanges source by me but paid for by them.

It's been on the car for around 9 months, looks fine so far.

Well, ordered one off Ebay, from a seller called, hilariously "2fast2cool" but cant fault it, ordered it yesterday lunchtime and it arrived today at 10 AM, well packed and all intact, it turns out to be the Japspeed one and to my untrained eye the quality looked pretty good, certainly no glaringly obvious faults.

I was going to fit it but remember the misery of putting the rest of it on, barely any room to move, operating a grinder and a drill to get the studs out so, for once in my life deferred to the professionals and took it to the tyre and exhaust place in walking distance, dropped it off and two hours later they rang me to come and get it, they relieved me of what I thought was a slightly enthusiastic £70 but what price grovelling under a tonne and a half or more of finest Japanese ironmongery on axle stands with bits of oxidised exhaust in your eyes. I generally do everything myself so this time, a little bit of the luxury that other people have with getting cars fixed.

The fitter said it went on fairly easily once the bolts had been dealt with and fits very well, they have obviously decided aftermarket exhaust fitting is ok nowadays as a few years back they said no way when I tried to get one done on a Golf.

It sounds a lot better, the blowing is so annoying, sounds much smooth and feels more grunty low down.

Only time will tell if its any good but so far the £120 Japspeed item doesnt seem like bad value, cant image its much worse than the OEM exhaust.

So £190 all in, quite happy with that, thanks for all the advice.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 06/05/2015 at 13:44, J4CKO said:

Well, ordered one off Ebay, from a seller called, hilariously "2fast2cool" but cant fault it, ordered it yesterday lunchtime and it arrived today at 10 AM, well packed and all intact, it turns out to be the Japspeed one and to my untrained eye the quality looked pretty good, certainly no glaringly obvious faults.

I was going to fit it but remember the misery of putting the rest of it on, barely any room to move, operating a grinder and a drill to get the studs out so, for once in my life deferred to the professionals and took it to the tyre and exhaust place in walking distance, dropped it off and two hours later they rang me to come and get it, they relieved me of what I thought was a slightly enthusiastic £70 but what price grovelling under a tonne and a half or more of finest Japanese ironmongery on axle stands with bits of oxidised exhaust in your eyes. I generally do everything myself so this time, a little bit of the luxury that other people have with getting cars fixed.

The fitter said it went on fairly easily once the bolts had been dealt with and fits very well, they have obviously decided aftermarket exhaust fitting is ok nowadays as a few years back they said no way when I tried to get one done on a Golf.

It sounds a lot better, the blowing is so annoying, sounds much smooth and feels more grunty low down.

Only time will tell if its any good but so far the £120 Japspeed item doesnt seem like bad value, cant image its much worse than the OEM exhaust.

So £190 all in, quite happy with that, thanks for all the advice.

I know this is a really old posting but i am in the exact same predicament and looking at the Ebay specials to get a blowing exhaust through it's MOT.

Can you advise if you ever had any issues getting your car through it's MOT with these y-pieces with the dreaded emissions?

Thanks in advance!