"Performance car" action day at Castle Combe (Video & pics) 25/04/15

Just found this video which goes to show some of the excellent driving skills on show that day. <sarcasm btw. :lol::D

Some very close calls there. :scare:

That's mental! I was shitting it just watching on youtube!

• Like 2

One thing I would say is that the vid shows, if you value your car, the track days to avoid - just seems some were intent on trying to wreck their cars and not worried about who they might take out in the process.

• Like 2

One thing I would say is that the vid shows, if you value your car, the track days to avoid - just seems some were intent on trying to wreck their cars and not worried about who they might take out in the process.

I get the feeling from seeing this and some japfest footage, these one session wonders attracts all and sundry to hack round a circuit and give their cars a thrash for no real outlay cost wise. Just seems like a bit of a free for all to me.

I remember last year people mentioning the guy in the blue failside Rx7 not having a clue with video footage to prove. Ironically being a member over there, not one person said anything about his etiquette and he thought it was perfectly acceptable to block peoples lines as they were faster into and through the corners and then blast off in a straight line because he has 500hp or more, even made mention the Civics couldnt get past and youtube footage to boost it :( I feel sure had this been a track day, he would have either been black flagged or spoken to by some of the other drivers.

Dedicated track days seem far better marshalled and the participants on the whole seem a lot more respectful. The last time i went to CC they made particular mention that they didnt appreciate drifting or people trying to drift during the safety brief, although i appreciate there was a drift demo in the video above.

• Like 1

After thinking about it it wasn't as 'busy' I was expecting throughout the day and I got back to my club stand at 4:30 and myself and a friend were the only two cars left.

Maybe they are letting people get away with it because they are too afraid to get rid of people doing the naughties.

I've always been too scared to take my Car on that track because of quarry corner however after this year I think I'd only ever do it with a club of enthusiasts I knew I could trust.

The Briskoda session was the most sensible... I think that says alot about that forum to be honest.

• Like 1

Jesus, that vid is some watching. The number of people continuing to cane past people who are out of control/spinning added to the lack of skill on display is terrifying, even the drifters looked pretty shonky.

Proper trackdays are NOT, repeat NOT anything like that for anyone wondering :scare:

• Like 1

:lol:

Why didn't you just get your name down for Japfest?

I've been to Japfest lot's of times and tbh I'm not a fan purely because it is so, so busy. It is a great event but one year it took me almost 2 hours just to get out of the car park which was pretty infuriating. :dry:

You are right though I should really have booked some track time on the Zed dedicated sessions at Japfest as I know the drivers on that would have at least been a bit safer to be on track with. ;)

After thinking about it it wasn't as 'busy' I was expecting throughout the day and I got back to my club stand at 4:30 and myself and a friend were the only two cars left.

Maybe they are letting people get away with it because they are too afraid to get rid of people doing the naughties.

I've always been too scared to take my Car on that track because of quarry corner however after this year I think I'd only ever do it with a club of enthusiasts I knew I could trust.

The Briskoda session was the most sensible... I think that says alot about that forum to be honest.

Quarry corner although the highest crash rate corner of any circuit in the UK (from what I gather) really isn't that bad imo providing you drive accordingly and do have a reasonable idea of car physics & racing craft. E.g: how weight shifts under braking, oversteer/understeer etc etc.

The only time I've "almost" lost control of one of my cars on Castle Combe was at the newly developed "Esses" back in the late 1990's (possibly 2000) after they first changed the layout of the circuit to include the two chicanes (the Esses & Bobbies).

I went in too fast & hard on the brakes which unsettled the cars back end, ...this then tried to overtake the front of the car but as it was a fwd car I kept my foot on the accelerator, corrected and was able to pull it straight.

I did however sh*t my pants. :surrender::lol:

I think everyone on here is right though as doing a dedicated track day with club/forum enthusiasts is definitely the way to go. :thumbs:

Jesus, that vid is some watching. The number of people continuing to cane past people who are out of control/spinning added to the lack of skill on display is terrifying, even the drifters looked pretty shonky.

Proper trackdays are NOT, repeat NOT anything like that for anyone wondering :scare:

I hope not. From someone who has never done a track day, and still wondering if I should or not, this video has put me right off!

I hope not. From someone who has never done a track day, and still wondering if I should or not, this video has put me right off!

As others have said this is not a normal track day.

It was £35 pre-booked to get on the track for a 15 minute session and £40 on the day. This makes it a cheap affordable way to get on track which nowadays seems to attract a lot of chav type idiots and no holds barred wanna be racers. :thumbdown:

Back when I first started doing track days/action days like this in 1997 it was a lot quieter and safer with most people attending being fairly sensible. Heck when I first started doing it you didn't even have to wear helmets in tin top cars and you were allowed hand held VHS cameras the size of breeze blocks in the car. :lol:

It's a shame really as these track/action days used to be a great way to get on track especially for beginners, amateurs or people who couldn't afford the more expensive track days.

As Jetpilot/docwra & a few others have said the best way nowadays seems to be either on a club/forum arranged track day or the dedicated track days arranged by the circuits themselves or dedicated companies like MSV, Trackdays.co.uk etc.

Link: http://www.trackdays.co.uk/tracks/castle-combe.htm

Link: http://www.msvtrackdays.com/car.aspx

They cost more money to do with prices starting from around £99 for a full day but most have an open pit lane policy and are much better managed. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Honestly don't let it put you off. The last track day I've done was at Castle Combe in my old Mx5 and I actually took my mother as it was her 50th and I wanted to do something memorable with her.

We were by far the least exotic and slowest car there (with her driving especially) but everyone was SO considerate and never intimidated her.

Whenever cars would come up behind, they just hung back until we got to a straight and pulled / indicated over before they made their way past. She went from almost backing out beforehand to absolutely loving it and almost refusing to come back in.

So please don't be discouraged!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

As the others have said, don't be put off. If they were all like this, no one would surprised by the level of attack and sheer numbers out on track.

Do what I did, go on a club day with a mate who has a pestige marque. I went with a Jaaaag club trackday and because my car was worth less than two of their panels, they were much more scared of me than I was of them :lol:

Edited by SuperStu
  • Like 2

I did at a day at Combe 3 years ago, booked with 5 mates, the day was quiet and when we pulled In to join the groups we asked if we could go in the same group, the marshall said just start a new group. No one else arrived so we had our own group all day, just us 5 and Combe to ourselves, it was awesome.

Dont be put off by the above video and If you did see that kind of behaviour at a track day, pull In and go speak to the marshalls or organisers, they wouldnt want their track days filled with that kind of driving.

On a proper track day, then it's fine to pull in and have a word etc.

Problem with the Track sessions Graham went on is, by the time he's pulled in, the session would be over :/

Yep that is true although if the offending bad driver is hoping to go on track more than once it's still worth having a word afterwards. ;)

I was also here!! Had my azure which was parked just to the left of the entrance amongst a club my friend is involved with called weekend racer I think. We went out in a caged and stripped silver Ford puma which whilst not being too fast compared to the zed was brilliant fun!

• Like 1

I was also here!! Had my azure which was parked just to the left of the entrance amongst a club my friend is involved with called weekend racer I think. We went out in a caged and stripped silver Ford puma which whilst not being too fast compared to the zed was brilliant fun!

Did you take the Zed on track?

I did see an Azure blue 350Z that was on track, ...maybe 11:30 ish?. :dry:

Then later I saw the same Zed parked up in the car park and people were working on it with tools and things. If they hadn't been busy I might have popped over.

Wasn't you was it? ;)

http://jalopnik.com/...kday-1700661538

I'm just going to leave that right there...

:lol:

Some interesting & funny comments in there. Think I like this guys response best....

This track day was actually a sting operation to remove chavs from the UK’s general populace. The Monster Energy car ended up being air mailed to Australia with the driver still in it.

:D

Did you take the Zed on track?

I did see an Azure blue 350Z that was on track, ...maybe 11:30 ish?. :dry:

Then later I saw the same Zed parked up in the car park and people were working on it with tools and things. If they hadn't been busy I might have popped over.

Wasn't you was it? ;)

No it wasn't although I did see that one too, looked quite tidy!

To be honest I'm too scared of crashing to take mine out on the track!

Did you see a black Clio around that time that looked ridiculously quick?