Very quick question regards spraying.

JoshC

Doing some touch up on one alloy wheel using primer/base coat and high temp laquer form rattle cans. So far so good, got the base coat on there now.

Just wondering how long should I give that to dry before putting the laquer on but more importantly will I be okay to drive the car (just around the City) once the base is dry but before the first coat of laquer?

Obviously I'll clean/degrease the area before appying the laquer after driving the car if it's okay to do so?

I personally wouldn't drive the car if you're half way through painting.

Carbon materials (Brake dust) that your average wash/degrease will penetrate the paint. What you believe is clean could react with the top coat and/or lacquer when you come round to it.

Base coat (instructions on the tin) will tell you the ideal drying time, and next application recommendations.

Same with top coat, and/or lacquer.

I personally wouldn't drive the car if you're half way through painting.

Carbon materials (Brake dust) that your average wash/degrease will penetrate the paint. What you believe is clean could react with the top coat and/or lacquer when you come round to it.

Base coat (instructions on the tin) will tell you the ideal drying time, and next application recommendations.

Same with top coat, and/or lacquer.

Cheers for the advice bud, I'm asking as I may HAVE to drive the car later this evening and just trying to work out if I was better risking driving it without the clear coat or rushing it slightly and putting the clear coat on without giving the base the ideal amount of time to dry

Started the prep and priming last night thinking I didn't need the car today but now something has come up! :( :(

As said I wouldn't advise driving and then trying to clean before spraying the lacquer, generally speaking depending on paint type you would let the base coat flash off and then spray the lacquer, same goes for subsequent coats of lacquer if you spray them.

Just to clarify, what I mean by flash off is just letting the previous coat evaporate the solvents, it doesn't have to be thoroughly dry, as you wont be touching it between coats if spraying over base/colour coat or lacquer.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

As said I wouldn't advise driving and then trying to clean before spraying the lacquer, generally speaking depending on paint type you would let the base coat flash off and then spray the lacquer, same goes for subsequent coats of lacquer if you spray them.

Just to clarify, what I mean by flash off is just letting the previous coat evaporate the solvents, it doesn't have to be thoroughly dry, as you wont be touching it between coats if spraying over base/colour coat or lacquer.

Cheers mate!

Even though it may not be the best idea, do you think I could get away with clean as bet as possible then putting another layer of base down and allowing to dry before putting the laquer on? If that's the best the best I can do that is?

Also, how long would you advise between final coat of paint and laquer?

Sorry and I understand your circumstances, but this wreaks a bad finish.

I've done spraying in a controlled (or as conteolled as possible bar using a bodyshop) and trust me contamination either airborn or product related is a nightmare.

Good luck, but using a part and cleaning won't give you the finish you are looking to achieve. You might get super lucky, but if your prep isn't done right it will look worse.

Top coat needs two weeks to harden properly. Have you considered this?

Its up to you if you want to risk contaminants, if you do that I would just give it a wipe with spirit wipe before you recoat, you only need to leave it a few minutes in these temps before recoating.

Sorry and I understand your circumstances, but this wreaks a bad finish.

I've done spraying in a controlled (or as conteolled as possible bar using a bodyshop) and trust me contamination either airborn or product related is a nightmare.

Good luck, but using a part and cleaning won't give you the finish you are looking to achieve. You might get super lucky, but if your prep isn't done right it will look worse.

Top coat needs two weeks to harden properly. Have you considered this?

Cheers both, just bad timing really as I thought I'd have the next 4 days without needing to use the car :( Tbh I wasn't expecting a perfect finish doing it myself anyway, just wanted to make the kerbing not so obvious so thought I'd have a go myself all the while thinking I may end up having to get it done professionally. Just see how it goes I guess :)