is this car driveable?

hensh65

Hi guys,

We just bought a mini cooper on Saturday and ive been keeping an eye on it to make sure there is nothing wrong with it. Low and behold i get call off the other half who said there is fluid at the back left wheel.

Had a look and looks to be brake fluid. Garage will fix it but they have just said they wont get it picked up.

Is this car driveable or am i stuck with a flatbed bill?

Start the car and pump the brakes a few times. If fluid level drops in the res, then it's clearly not safe to drive. Poor show from he garage, they should be collecting or at least paying you the money back!

• Like 1

How much fluid?

Are you sure it's brake fluid?

Can you see where the fluid is leaking from?

Is there brake fluid in the reservoir still?

Do the brakes work?

How far is the garage?

:shrug: No help I know. :lol:

:lol:

Thanks for that mate, i was in a suit when i was at the car so not had a proper look, definitely looks like brake fluid, i jumped in and pumped the brakes and they were slightly spongey. There isnt a huge deal but its certainly dripping away

Start the car and pump the brakes a few times. If fluid level drops in the res, then it's clearly not safe to drive. Poor show from he garage, they should be collecting or at least paying you the money back!

Here is his email..

Kris, I'm sorry, you need to bring the car to us. I don't mind how you do that, but that's how it works. We will sort any issues you have, this doesn't just apply to this case, but to anyone buying a car. Hope this is helpful. Stephen

Here is his email..

Kris, I'm sorry, you need to bring the car to us. I don't mind how you do that, but that's how it works. We will sort any issues you have, this doesn't just apply to this case, but to anyone buying a car. Hope this is helpful. Stephen

Not helpful at all I'd venture :surrender:

You only picked the car up on Saturday FFS! Useless.

Tbh if the car isn't driveable then I'd be making it very clear that either they refund you the cost of a flatbed, or you WILL take them to court for the money. The car is not fit for purpose, and you should not be left out of pocket for that.

• Like 3

How's the levels in the brake fluid reservoir?

Could be a nick in the lines from slightly aged rubber. Or a seal on the caliber.

Unfortunate times bud.

Still to check it mate, pressing this **** who sold me it to come get it!

he sounds like a bit of a tosser going by that email. If you have no way of getting it there and they won't collect then try ringing the AA or RAC if your covered they can take you from your driveway to a garage i think. I may be wrong.

• Like 1

he sounds like a bit of a tosser going by that email. If you have no way of getting it there and they won't collect then try ringing the AA or RAC if your covered they can take you from your driveway to a garage i think. I may be wrong.

Its only my car with breakdown and its not personal cover, she walks to work as its literally 1 min walk.

I have semt him a stinking mail so hopefully that will get him moving, failing that I will take the guys advice and check the levels to see if they're ok. Its not a massive journey, at night its probably 15/20mins and mostly empty dual carriageway.

Just a pain in the ass.

Its only my car with breakdown and its not personal cover, she walks to work as its literally 1 min walk.

I have semt him a stinking mail so hopefully that will get him moving, failing that I will take the guys advice and check the levels to see if they're ok. Its not a massive journey, at night its probably 15/20mins and mostly empty dual carriageway.

Just a pain in the ass.

are you insane ! Your going to drive a car with potentially dodgy breaks on a dual carriageway ? Your health is more important that a car. Take him to court quoting sales of good act mate. Stay safe
  • Like 1

What if you have an accident and your insurance is invalid because you knew the car was defective? Big bills, many points and dear insurance next year.

If you must drive it there then at least stick it through the showroom window to make a point.

Hold on guys, there's leaking a bit of something and then there's a car that doesn't have any brakes. If there's just a weep from somewhere and there's no more brake fluid escaping then tbh I'd be happy to drive it too. If it continues to leak out on every pedal application then you're right, that's simply not drivable.

Hensh, remember it's not just the level you're looking at, it's the amount that changes when someone is sat in the car with the engine running (important) and keeps stabbing at the brakes, and whether any fluid can be seen leaking near that wheel.

• Like 1

Told you minis are crap!! Haha. Good luck getting it sorted. I really wouldn't risk driving it if you are sure it's brake fluid.

Can they not come out to inspect the leak at your house? They can then confirm the problem ...

Edited by WINKJ
  • Like 1

Court case, ask for your money back and buy from somewhere else or quickly visit https://www.moneycla...eb/mcol/welcome and you'll sort it out like that.

You can't just do that, you have to give them reasonable time to repair the vehicle to a satisfactory condition. You cannot legally just walk in, dump the keys and demand a refund.

This is why you must get all communication in writing, and set sensible timescales.

• Like 1

Got the car there and I am alive. Just kept the revs high and avoided using the brakes if I could.

Just to add to the joys the car was a bit lumpy on start up so he said they will have a look. I am going to take it to the guy who does the work on my car either way and get him to give it the once over as i dont want any surprises.